Best surf fishing combos at Academy store

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Best surf fishing combos at Academy store

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

I have a gift card for the new Academy sports store on Mahan drive.
I am planning to buy a surf fishing combo but don't want to spend more than 80 bucks.
Trying to decide from the Pinnacle 12' red metal combo, Hurricane Mako 10' surf combo, Shakespeare ugly stick 10' saltwater combo or any other surf combo rods they have.
Any suggestions?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Re: Best surf fishing combos at Academy store

Post by Harmsway »

It ain't easy or cheezy to pick the right fishing rig, is it? Everything's a trade-off it seems. I bet you'll get a lot of good feedback on which rod is better than the next, which reel is best, and (shucks) too bad the Mako reel isn't combined with the Ugly Stick.

To me, your decision comes down to three things: 1) what size fish do you realistically plan to target, 2) how far do you have to cast to get in the sweet spot, and 3) how often do you realistically plan to use it (how long does it need to last).

If landing BIG fish (like sharks) is most important, then go with the MH rod (Mako). If long casting is very important, then go with the longest rod (Pinnacle). If You're going to use it a lot, then the indestructibility of the Ugly Stick might be the best choice. On the other hand the 2+1 bearings in the Mako's reel probably makes it the best of the three reels. If you're not going to use it a lot, then I would go with the cheapest outfit (Pinnacle).
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Fishbster1

Post by Fishbster1 »

That is some info, thank you. I am visiting Academy today.
DEADLYMNM7
Site Sponsor

Post by DEADLYMNM7 »

Thank you so much for the wealth of information!