Squirrel Hunting Advice...

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bman

Squirrel Hunting Advice...

Post by bman »

I found this article and wondered...
http://www.tallahassee.com/article/2012 ... 1481237582

whats the best shot size?
I should not be laughing but I am ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Squirrel Hunting Advice...

Post by silverking »

I might start target practicing with my M-1 Garand off the back porch. I'd be perfectly legal with all this craziness.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Capt Dave, why don't you buy your neighbor a pellet gun. I'd be worried also about a guy that needed a 12 g to kill squirrels. Good luck, I hope you work it out.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
cotton

Post by cotton »

Who needs enemies for a neighbor? Why not ask him if you can help? My grandpa,at 90, had rat shot for his 22, and did the same thing. I'm sure many of his neighbors thought he was crazy. But, since they had known him forever, they were sympathetic.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Be glad he's not using a rifle.....
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

It has helped me and my family decide on our votes in the Leon County sheriff and State Attorney races, and it won't be for the incumbents.
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Maybe someone needs to tell him about a .410 only problem is that the little shells are way more expensive than wally world 12ga. at least the LEOs used common sense.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

zload wrote: at least the LEOs used common sense.
No, that's the problem, they haven't. The law says this type of shooting in a residential neighborhood, where the shot is hitting less than 20 feet from adjacent yards, is reckless and negligent. The attorney for the LCSO even suggested he use a .22 rifle. The Tallahassee Rifle and Pistol Club spent thousands of dollars to erect giant berms to protect neighbors in rural Woodville against stray rounds more than 300 yards away, yet this behavior is tolerated in a close residential area. Worst of all, it's not doing any good. It's not diminishing the squirrel population in the least.

When, not if, someone is shot and seriously injured this individual and the county will not be able to hire enough lawyers to defend against the lawsuits that will come their way.

Ask yourselves how you'd feel with your two little girls playing in the back yard or taking the dog out and have an admitted poor shot blasting away with a 12 gauge and maybe it wouldn't be such a laughing matter.
bman

Post by bman »

SK, I had to "out" you on BBF when I saw the article.
Not often a neighborhood feud makes the paper. And even less often does it surround squirrels and guns!
Did he at least offer the tails for fly tying material??

I know your neighborhood well and you are probably right that any shots there are not safe.
My understanding is if your bullet travels over another persons property it can be felony trespassing... not to mention it traveling over a state road.
No one wants to feel unsafe in their yard.

That being said- Makes me glad I'm on 3 acres in the county. A few coons and dillers have met their maker this year.
After one successful stalk I had a neighbor call. They were from Miami and said "we moved up here to get away from gun shots in the neighborhood" :-D
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

bullets that cross onto private property is in fact felony tresspass. This guy needs a pellet gun. A couple more boxes of shells and it will be cheaper as well as safer.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/268336 ... -box-of-25

Try asking him to use subsonic shells with 7.5 shot. They aren't as loud, and their muzzle velocity is below 1100 fps (the Federal shells above=900fps). Most decent pellet guns these days have a muzzle velocity of at least 1000fps, and fire a larger, heavier projectile with a longer range and more momentum, so the subsonic 12ga. loads would actually be safer. If you don't think he'll play along and buy them on his own, buy him a few boxes...knock on his door and explain to him that you understand his dilemma, and that you're just trying to protect your children and those around you as best you can. Give him the shells and explain to him that they will work just as well as whatever he's been using, but that they're slightly safer for those of you around him.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

From what I read in the article, he is not doing anything illegal.

Here are the things I would take note of that are illegal:

1. shooting onto another person's property without that person's consent
2. traveling onto another person's property to retrieve a carcass where that person has expressly forbidden it
3. shooting over any public roadway
4. shooting from the right-of-way. I am now unsure if this is a legal right of way, such as an easement, or a general right of way, such as 20 feet from centerline of a road or the far side of a ditch or sidewalk.

Further, to say that he is shooting negligently would be hard to prove if he is hitting what he is aiming at, and not damaging unintended targets.
850-273-8818
slowroller
Site Sponsor

Post by slowroller »

So you wouldn't mind your kids running around outside while he's shooting, LS?? :roll:
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

It is not a matter of minding what someone else does, if that person is operating within his rights.

I don't let me kids play near the freeway or the drainage ditch or canal full of gators(lets assume I live near a freeway or drainage ditch or canal) because it is inherently dangerous. Those things are legal, and yet there are houses that exist right alongside them. If the you feel that the neighbor is dangerous, then don't let your kids play in front of his house and don't walk your dog down the sidewalk. You have every right to walk your dog, and he has every right to shoot in his yard. Don't like it, avoid it, or vote in politician who will make his actions illegal.

Freedom is a blessing to those who enjoy it and a curse to those who object to the first's enjoyment.

Please keep in mind that I am not saying that SK is wrong, I am simply stating the way it is.
850-273-8818
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

Get the man a CAT, a TOM CAT :thumbup: ours lays squirrels, rabbits, snakes, birds ........ at our doorway all the time :smt004 :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”