Putting the boat up for the winter...

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Putting the boat up for the winter...

Post by setty7 »

So I moved my girl friends parents two weeks ago and we put the boat in the garage. Noticed it took up to much room so my girl friends dad told me to take it to my house. Well its always been garage kept but I have bad news. At my house it wont go in my garage. So i put it in my back yard with a tarp over it. Can yall give me any tips as to what I need to do as we put it up mid-november for the winter? DIdnt know if we need to do anything with the motor and what not? Thanks so much guys!
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Putting the boat up for the winter...

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CHECK THE OIL IN THE FOOT OF THE KICKER, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO WATER IN THE FOOT, IF THERE IS DRAIN THE OIL AND WATER AND REPLACE THE SEALS AND LEAVE EMPTY TIL YOU PUT THE BOAT BACK IN THE WATER NEXT SPRING, BE SURE TO REPLACE THE OIL BEFORE LAUNCHING. REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG FROM THE TRANSOM AND WIPE OUT THE WATER IN THE BOAT WITH A RAG, RAISE THE BOW OF THE BOAT AT LEAST 1 FT. HIGHER AT THE BOW SO THE WATER WILL DRAIN OUT THE TRANSOM. IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD JACK UP THE TRAILER AND BLOCK THE TIRES OFF THE GROUND WITH BRICKS OR CONCRETE BLOCKS, ALSO WOULD COVER TIRES WITH PLASTIC TO KEEP THE SUN'S RAYS OFF THE RUBBER OF THE TIRES. WOULD ALSO DRAIN FUEL TANK AND LINES, START NEXT SPRING WITH NEW FUEL AND LINES TO THE MOTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS WITH THE INFORMATION YOU NEED.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
setty7

Post by setty7 »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:CHECK THE OIL IN THE FOOT OF THE KICKER, MAKE SURE THERE IS NO WATER IN THE FOOT, IF THERE IS DRAIN THE OIL AND WATER AND REPLACE THE SEALS AND LEAVE EMPTY TIL YOU PUT THE BOAT BACK IN THE WATER NEXT SPRING, BE SURE TO REPLACE THE OIL BEFORE LAUNCHING. REMOVE THE DRAIN PLUG FROM THE TRANSOM AND WIPE OUT THE WATER IN THE BOAT WITH A RAG, RAISE THE BOW OF THE BOAT AT LEAST 1 FT. HIGHER AT THE BOW SO THE WATER WILL DRAIN OUT THE TRANSOM. IF IT WERE MINE I WOULD JACK UP THE TRAILER AND BLOCK THE TIRES OFF THE GROUND WITH BRICKS OR CONCRETE BLOCKS, ALSO WOULD COVER TIRES WITH PLASTIC TO KEEP THE SUN'S RAYS OFF THE RUBBER OF THE TIRES. WOULD ALSO DRAIN FUEL TANK AND LINES, START NEXT SPRING WITH NEW FUEL AND LINES TO THE MOTOR. HOPE THIS HELPS WITH THE INFORMATION YOU NEED.
PA
SEMPER FI

wow man that was tremendous help! thanks! do our winters get cold enough to "freeze" up motors?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

"Do our winters get cold enough to freeze up motors?"

You bet! Only takes one time in the low twenties or teens. Last year was a very mild winter but we got there twice.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
setty7

Post by setty7 »

SS-342 wrote:"Do our winters get cold enough to freeze up motors?"

You bet! Only takes one time in the low twenties or teens. Last year was a very mild winter but we got there twice.

True, what happens if the motor freezes up? And what do you do to fix it?
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE FOOT ASSEMBLY , WHICH IS ABOUT $1,500 ON MY OLD EVINRUDE. IF THE OIL SEALS ARE GOOD IN THE FOOT YA DON'T HAVE TO WORRY, JUST CRANK THE ENGINE OVER ABOUT 20-30 REVOLUTIONS TO GET THE WATER OUT OF THE PUMP. WHAT HAPPENS IF THE FOOT IS LEAKING IN WATER, THE WATER EXPANDS WHEN IT FREEZES AND BURST THE FOOT ASSEMBLY HOUSING, THEN THE FOOT WILL FILL UP WITH WATER AND BURN OUT THE GEARS AND BEARINGS OF THE FOOT ASSEMBLY. BEST TO OPEN THE LOWER SCREW ON THE FOOT, IF ANY WATER COMES OUT, DRAIN AND REPLACE THE FOOT SEALS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
setty7

Post by setty7 »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE FOOT ASSEMBLY , WHICH IS ABOUT $1,500 ON MY OLD EVINRUDE. IF THE OIL SEALS ARE GOOD IN THE FOOT YA DON'T HAVE TO WORRY, JUST CRANK THE ENGINE OVER ABOUT 20-30 REVOLUTIONS TO GET THE WATER OUT OF THE PUMP. WHAT HAPPENS IF THE FOOT IS LEAKING IN WATER, THE WATER EXPANDS WHEN IT FREEZES AND BURST THE FOOT ASSEMBLY HOUSING, THEN THE FOOT WILL FILL UP WITH WATER AND BURN OUT THE GEARS AND BEARINGS OF THE FOOT ASSEMBLY. BEST TO OPEN THE LOWER SCREW ON THE FOOT, IF ANY WATER COMES OUT, DRAIN AND REPLACE THE FOOT SEALS.
PA
SEMPER FI

Wow! What if I crank it once or twice a week and let it run for about 5-10 min? Do I still have to do the above? I'm new to this and don't know where some of the stiff yall have talked about are located.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

We use our boat year around.

I lower the unit as far as possible to drain water off the pump system. If you leave the unit up or part way up it does still have water in it, lowering seems to drain all the water out and clears the water pump system. I also change oil every New Year, sometimes in January, and also drain the lower unit and look for water. I also have an in-line fuel filter before the fuel gets to the unit which is also changed in January. The contents of the fuel filter are poured into something so I can see any water in the filter-fuel system.

So far I've had no problems.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
CaptReelThyme

Post by CaptReelThyme »

you need to use it year round... the fish come in closer in the winter. No long runs out to the East or West Flats or Off Shore. Some of the best redfish and trout I have caught were in the St. Marks river in front on Lynn Bros... Just Sayin
Capt RT
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I use mine year round also, so don't do all those things :smt004 On the mornings that the temp is supposed to drop into the low 20's or lower, I put a 60 watt light bulb near the foot "I use a shop light" and throw a blanket over the entire motor, never had a foot freeze, even with the temps down into the lower teens :thumbup:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

This is all new to me??? I am thinking about buying one of those "water well pressure switch" heating elements??? Then just leave it plugged in and it comes "on" and "off" automatically at around 42 degrees. Think they come in two different wattages 15 and 25 watt. The heat strip is about three feet long and i could wrap it around the foot a couple of times? Thinking i better "rig it" with a drive away quick disconnect means" :-D for when i forget that it is there !!
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thanks guys for all your comments! How hard is it to change the oil and foot oil?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

can anyone help me on how to change oils on my motor? its a 93 60hp mercury 2 stroke I believe
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

This video is for a Yamaha, but most motors are the same when it comes to gear oil.
I hope it helps.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR_7IWheqV4
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

If you have water in the gear box, this video will help you also.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiQNhFYFvdQ