Epic Gag Grouper Fishn St. Marks 10/21/12

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Jhults11

Epic Gag Grouper Fishn St. Marks 10/21/12

Post by Jhults11 »

We made the call to take our last licks at some gags before the closure on November first. The crew for the day was myself, Dad, Don (Greenbone), and Mike. We pushed away from shell island fish camp in St. Marks at 730 to a brisk sunny morning. Noaa was calling for 5-10 1-2 but when we made it to the flats..well..let’s just say they were wrong. It was white capping as far as you could see with a stiff 15-20 knot Northeast wind. We caught a well full of pins and pigs and decided to stick to the flats for a few hours and see if she would lay down enough to get to some close federal holes. Surprisingly the flats were producing quite well. After an hour of trout fishing we had 4 nice 16-18" trout and quite a few shorts. Right in the middle of all us catching trout my cork goes under, I set up on it and it is swimming at the boat, as soon as it sees the boat it freaks out and takes off headed to Mexico. Around the boat I go 4 different times, and almost got spooled twice and we finally get a good look at it...a monster 45-50" Bull Red :o . I fought that thing for 20 mins and right when I thought I had the upper hand, unfortunately she came unbuttoned. I have caught a lot of 35-40" Reds all on grouper tackle offshore wile targeting grouper in the fall but boy was this a stud. I fought her on a 7 foot st croix and stradic 4000 with 20 pound braid (knife to a gun fight). We all estimated it around 45-50 pounds. Dam thing was 5-6 inches across the back. After that excitement we could help notice the wind had slacked up and she was finally laying down. We made the call to head offshore to some shallow grouper #s just across the federal line. Half way out we saw bonitas busting bait and played with them for 30 minutes. After catching 4 for the crab traps and cut bait we continued on our way. We pulled up to the first spot in 27 feet and it was dead, a biological dessert. Big rock and relief but no one home, not even sea bass. We knew it was a little early for shallow water grouper fishing (about a month early) but this really hurt our spirits. On to the next spot but still this # only had sea bass, grunts, and spanish on it...not the Gags we were in search of. We made the call to hit our last spot which was the shallowest spot (23 feet) about a mile south of the federal line.. We pulled up to the shallow rocks and dropped the hooked perfectly putting us right on the edge. What happened next only happens in an offshore fishermans dreams. I dropped the first pinfish to the bottom and immediately was pinned to the rail by a nice 27" gag. After I put her in the box I turned around to give some high fives and few chants but was delighted to see dad and don were boat doubled up and pinned to the rail by quality fish. YES...wide open gag bite..get your bait down as quick as you can. Next, mike is dragged across the back of the boat and almost overboard before being rocked up by what was probably a monster gag. The next 25 minutes were a pure chaotic Chinese fire drill. He!!, dad landed 6 gags in 8 drops. Every gag was over 25" and we did not catch a single short. I had the honors of big fish going 30" which was the only one not caught on a live pin but on a big Bonita steak..a couple inches off my personal best. When the smoke cleared we had our limit of 26-30" fish. We caught 13 keepers (keeping eight) in 25 minutes in 23 feet of water...WTF..definitely the best gag bite I have ever been on. You only get 1 or 2 days a year where the bite is wide open insanity..but that is what we all live for right there. Glad we closed the gag season with a bang! :thumbup: -Tight LinesFinal Tally:
13 Keeper Gags to 30"
4 Keeper Trout to 18"
6 Sea Bass
4 Bonita about 6 lbs
Grunts Galore
4 Happy Anglers :)
Me and pops with our 4 best
Gags averaging 26"
Don with our two best
Mike with our two best..
The ride in was the cherry on top
1/2 the crew with our catch
Our catch on the day
Me with the 28" and 30" studs
Last edited by Jhults11 on October 22nd, 2012, 10:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau
Reel Navy
Site Sponsor

Re: Epic Gag Grouper Fishn St. Marks 10/21/12

Post by Reel Navy »

Nice fish and great report! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Dear Lord, please let me be the kind of person my dog thought I was .....
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Post by Greenbone »

JH, thanks for the invite,Mike and I will be sitting on the deck for years to come talking 'bout yesterdays fishing. Steve was in the catchin' mode, he is DA MAN!!! I'm looking forward to some crab crusted, baked grouper. These carcasses will produce some nice claws.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome trip!! Congrats guys!
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

Nice trip, thanks for the report.
Sea Ya !
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

SuWEET
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

WOW Great Narrative Report and pics too... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Awesome day fellas!! Way to wear em out. Jordan, I wouldn't say this if we weren't friends, but I doubt that red was 45-50#. State record is 51#. Or maybe it was and you lost a record fish :hammer: . Either way, congrats on a stellar day.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Sorry, state record is 52# 5oz
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Wow. What a day!
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

how long of a run is it out of St Marks to get to decent grouper fishing?
Carlabear

Post by Carlabear »

sounds like a great time!!! Hope to go again this weekend!!!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

guthooked wrote:how long of a run is it out of St Marks to get to decent grouper fishing?
5 miles this time of year.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

good to see the bone out of the skinny :thumbup:
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
tallykenj
Site Sponsor