Towers

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BIG
Site Sponsor

Towers

Post by BIG »

Been doing a lot of dreaming about my next boat and wanted to get individual thoughts on towers with full controls.

I don't see much of it here. Fishing the flats of St. Marks and limited offshore seemed like it would be perfect fit for that type of rig.

I have been looking at the Dorado 23 Pro Guide. I just need my wallet to catch up with my taste!
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I fished out of a Dorado 23 one day last summer and I honestly didn't like it as much as I thought I was going to.

I'm not sure a tower would be that useful on the St. Marks flats. It would come in real handy to Cobia fish over on the Panhandle though.
Ken
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

What didn't you like? I went with a guide in Tarpon Springs and the Pro seemed to have everything you need in a vessel.

I would think that any time you could look down over the water it would be better than the alternative.

What boat do you believe would be a better alternative?
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Sorry if I sounded like I was running it down. I had never even seen one before and in my mind I was figuring it was the greatest inshore boat ever.
I thought it was too narrow, didn't ride particularly well in a chop, and I really prefer a flush front deck.

On the plus side it had a lot of storage, and a huge baitwell/leaning post.

The boats somewhat similar in function to the Dorado I have fished out of that I thought fished better are; a 23' Trembley, 24' & 22' Pathfinders and the 22' Cape Horn.

I suppose the downsides to having a tower when the water is too stained to see much are that it is in the way, is expensive and a pain in the butt to fold down if you are trailering.

They are kind of cool to fish from even if you are just drifting and blind casting for trout. You need to have someone below willing to unhook your fish for you though, you really don't want to be climbing up and down that thing to much.

Since you like the Dorado, look at Gause and Sheaffer if you haven't already.

All the above is opinion, and you know what they say about those. :D
Ken
GeneO.
Site Sponsor

Post by GeneO. »

If you're sight fishing or plan on doing a lot of trolling they're great; if not a tower is as useless as teet's on a bull.

I have one on my boat, and since moving it here haven't had the chance to use it. The controls can get sticky when they aren't used regularly and bleeding them is a pain in the butt. My tower and gas motors is the reason I'll most likely sell her at the begining of next season. I want to get a vessel that is setup for the type of fishing I'm doing now. A tower will not be part of the plans for the new boat.

The other consideration is portability. If your tallest point on the vessel when on a trailer is 12'-13' 6" you'll need to get permits to move it and over 13' 6" you'll not be able to trailer it even with a transport company.

If I had to do it all over again, I probably will in a year, I wouldn't get a tower. I would get a flybridge before the tower as I can see the baits or fish just fine in one and I get added cabin room that would otherwise be taken up by controls.

Just my .02
Tight Lines and Screamin Drag

http://members.fishingworks.com/gosteen/
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

Great info! :thumbup: Thanks!
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I don't have a link but look around and see if you can find the Sabalo web site. They are "Dorado-ish" looking and I think are quite a bit less expensive. I believe they are made in Tampa.
Ken
BIG
Site Sponsor

Post by BIG »

It get's better and better. :D