My dream boat

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

JC_UF_ITK

My dream boat

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Over the past 15 years or so, I've been known by friends and family for buying and selling boats. I started with Gheenoes, switched to jon boats, and then bought/sold a Mitzi Skiff early last year. While all of the boats were great, none were exactly what I wanted. However, various financial decisions (debt from grad school, owning a house with an ex, etc) have always thwarted any dreams of buying a larger, nicer boat. After paying off the debt, including a majority of my student loans, and finally being able to refinance my house after nearly four years, I was ready to buy my dream boat and reward myself.

I was torn between a bay boat and a flats boat. I wanted something that could fish inshore, but also run offshore a few miles when the weather permitted. Also, the towing capacity on my vehicle limited my options. After tons of research, I narrowed down my search to three boats: Lake & Bay 20’ Backwater, Egret 189, and a Young 20. I preferred a new boat, but couldn’t justify the cost of building one. So the fun, but ever-so-frustrating search for a clean, late model boat began. For months I searched the web nearly every day; skimming through Boat Trader, Craigslist, and many other websites. At least one of each boat listed above sold before I could even look at it. Others were overpriced, beat up too badly, or had a ton of hours. Finally, I found THE boat, a 2007 Lake & Bay 20’ Backwater with a Mercury 225hp Pro XS.

While the boat was gently used, it was in need of some major TLC. When I purchased the boat, there were spider cracks/chips in the fiberglass, the rear port livewell had a crack in the fiberglass due to a missed mud line, some old messy wiring, and a trailer that looked like it sat on the bottom of the ocean for a few weeks. The boat had a one year old 101lb Minn Kota trolling motor, a one year old Sony radio, two Wang anchors, and a barely used motor with 207 hours and a beat up prop. I felt that I paid a fair price for the boat, but I knew I would have to spend a considerable amount of money to get it to my “dream boat” status. After months of searching for a boat and finally buying one, I still had a long process ahead.

First of all, I had to decide on aftermarket additions. It didn’t take me long to purchase twin 8’ Power-Poles, a 7” Humminbird 898c with side scan, a new onboard charger, and four new Odyssey batteries. Overkill for some people? Maybe. But heck, this IS my dream boat. Luckily, within the past few years, Young Boats started doing custom boat restorations. I knew their boats were top notch, so I didn’t hesitate one bit on having them do the repairs. I dropped the boat off with a long list of needed repairs, the aftermarket additions, and a fairly short deadline due to an upcoming week-long Pine Island fishing trip. On top of the fiberglass repairs and installing the add-ons, I also asked them to completely rewire the entire boat. The old batteries were off-gassing in the console and causing some corrosion issues with the wires, not to mention that the wiring was messy in the first place.

While the boat was being “pampered” at Young Boats, I turned my attention to the trailer. After more research, I called Dan Gallagher at Rolls Axle Inc. in Plant City and made an appointment to upgrade the trailer. A few hours later and Dan had the trailer looking fantastic with a new aluminum axle, stainless steel hubs, all stainless hardware, new bunks/carpet, and three new aluminum wheels/tires. I dropped the trailer back off at Young Boats, admired the progress that they were making, and proceeded to wait (very anxiously I must say).

Then the call from Robb Young came. Except for a new prop, the boat was finally complete. I met up with Robb, went over all of the repairs, and was completely amazed at the quality of work performed. The boat looks new again! The only thing left was finding a new prop. To complete the boat, I turned to Dale Hadley at Props Plus to find the right prop. After a few conversations back and forth, I bolted on a new Turbo Lightning 24p prop and my dream boat was finally completed!!

I have fished the boat 13 times in 3 weeks and I have been nothing but amazed! The ride, speed, fishability, and layout are perfect! It runs just over 65 loaded (full fuel, two people, gear, cooler, livewell full, etc), cruises nicely between 35-45mph, averages 5.3mpg at 38mph, and 4.4mpg at 45mph. It is officially the dream boat I have been waiting for. I have to publicly say thank you for all parties that helped me get the boat where it is today; Robb Young at Young Boats, Dan Gallagher at Rolls Axle, and Dale Hadley at Props Plus. All three companies are superior in knowledge and customer service! If you are in need of any of these services, do not, I repeat, DO NOT hesitate to contact the companies above. The boat is now officially stored at Pete’s Pier in Crystal River and enjoys long runs to new fishing grounds, sunset cruises around Kings Bay, and the occasional cold beer. I have posted some pictures of the boat below. Thank you for reading and please say hi if you happen to see my putting around.

Josh

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: My dream boat

Post by fishinfool »

Slick looking ride. You should be able to find lots of fish in it. :thumbup: :thumbup:
Welby
Site Sponsor

Post by Welby »

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttttt !
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Awsome. Looks new.
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Bad A$$!!!!
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I was looking for something like your's but then i checked my bank account, Ended up here!

kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Sweet sled!!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Took me awhile to down load the pictures. Then I know why the excitement in the story. I believe every word. Great looking boat. Happy boating and tight lines.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

MAN, THAT IS A NEW BOAT AND TRAILER, AT LEAST IT LOOKS LIKE IT. YA SHOULD GET YEARS OF SERVICE OUT OF THE OUTFIT. BE SURE TO RUN THE ENGINE IN A FRESH WATER LAKE OR POND AFTER YA GO IN SALT. I HAVE BEEN DOING THIS ON A 1985 EVINRUDE AND SHE HAS NEVER LET ME DOWN, THE ENGINE HAS ABOUT 3,500 HOURS ON IT AND IS STILL PULLING 120-125 POUNDS OF COMPRESSION ON ALL 4 CYLINDERS. MY TRAILER IS 30 YRS. OLD AND I HAVE CHANGED THE WHEEL BEARING 1 TIME IN THIS TIME PERIOD. I MADE SOME FILLER CAPS THAT USE OIL INSTEAD OF GREASE AND WITH THE PROPER SEALS YA SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ADD ANY OIL FOR YEARS. GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW RIDE.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Great choice! Been wanting one for years. She's a beauty. I have a fifth wheel for sale that would match up great with the yellow paint job. :-D Congrats!
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Very nice.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Thank you all for the positive comments! I'm definitely excited to fish the boat often and learn some new fishing grounds.

Capt, I thought about purchasing a fifth wheel and keeping it on a coastal piece of property. If I get to that point, I'll give you a shout. My OCD will probably like the matching colors!
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Wow! Very nice. I can't wait to ride in it.
Team Jolly Mon
Bonecracker

Post by Bonecracker »

U sure got one bad boat dude!!! :-D :D :-D Lake & Bay make such a good hull, great fit and finish, and excellent ride quality!!! salute3

Your story sounds very familiar to me!! I also have also owned four boats in the past and thought I owed my dream boat (18 Marverick) until the UGA bills started piling in and I started looking for some alternatives! The boat was sitting in the garage lookin pretty and not being used much so I sold her over 2 years ago to my daughters dismay. This May she will graduate from UGA, so like you, I started looking for my dream boat, a Pathfinder!! Looked at a few that were beat up/over used and finally found a 2007 2200V Pathfinder/200VMAX HPDI with low hours on Craigs list down near Tampa and set forth the necessary action to buy the boat. Been fishing her since October and could not be happier with the boat!! I now have a boat that will fish 4 people comfortably and I can fish offshore if I want!! :thumbup:

2012 Maverick 18-HPX / Yama 115 4 stroke
2006 28 Whitewater/ twin VMAX HPDI 200HP
JC_UF_ITK

Post by JC_UF_ITK »

Bone, great story as well! Sounds like you found a great boat also! I have fished quite a bit off of a 22' Pathfinder and loved the boat. Also, congrats on the daughter graduating, even if it is from UGA (Go Gators!).