NRA: Guns in Schools Would Protect Students

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

NRA: Guns in Schools Would Protect Students

Post by Badbagger »

Now the NRA has come out with this: Guns in Schools Would Protect Students & then the folks calling for tighter gun control. It's a battle that will wage on for a LONG LONG time. Unfortunately, there's not a whole lot anyone can do to get the guns out of the hands the "real criminals"... After working in the prison system for as long as I have and dealing with convicts (the old timers) and the inmates & jitterbugs who've shot, raped, killed, mugged and so on and so on and so on...
I am here to pretty much tell you in no uncertain terms that when any of these lads are "back on the street in the free world" if they want a rifle, piston, shot gun or assault rifle, there are absolutely with not one bit of doubt in my mind going to find one and pretty darn quick. So while the tighter gun control in theory may sound just wonderful to some, spend a few months "inside the fence" and you'll soon start to wonder...

Don't know just what the answer is, but tighter gun control laws are going to make it tougher on the "honest folks" that want to purchase a firearm. A criminal, seasoned or not doesn't give a rats azz about the law.

Looks like Georgia is all for it and I'd bet Texas isn't far behind.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/Georg ... 58611.html
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: NRA: Guns in Schools Would Protect Students

Post by Jumptrout51 »

All the school shootings and the theater shooting have been by young people.
They all have a mental illness background.
The thing that strikes me most odd about these shooters is their pictures.
If you look at their pictures you see the same wide-eyed scary look on all their faces.
Is that a standard look for a mentally ill person?
Is it related possibly to drugs they are taking.
Five of the 12 worst school shootings have taken place since 2009.
Why is that?
You can pack all the schools with armed security.
It will only send these shooters to unarmed,unsecured places to kill.
AND YES BB. The criminals will obtain a weapon by whatever means.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Maybe I'm missing something but in my opinion putting an armed officer in every school just doesn't make good sense... I'm a hardcore conservative and own 18 different guns ..I would never support gun control but if I thought burning my gun cabinet would save just one child's life, I'd do it...(but I know it won't)... As stated, the bad guys will always be armed. I have to admit though, after what happened at Sandy Hook, I wouldn't object to a ban on future sales of assault weapons and magazines that hold more than 10 rounds... not that it would do much good, but it might be a start in the right direction.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Our county(Leon) has armed deputies in all middle and high schools.
The elementary schools share armed deputies on a rotating schedule.
They have had this system for several years.
There are no negative issues regarding this that I am aware of.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I am at a loss at all the liberals now screaming about this plan. Seemed to be Ok when it was their idea....

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... in-Schools

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

I am at a loss at all the liberals now screaming about this plan. Seemed to be Ok when it was their idea....

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism ... in-Schools

The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The weapons used in Sandy Hook were pistols and under no current or past definition would they have been classified as assault weapons. Not sure about anyone else, but if magazines were limited to, say 5 rounds, I for one could still pop off 100 rounds in little time. It does not take long to reload a semi-auto, hand or long gun. Just sayin.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I agree with FF! There are no amount of laws that will stop evil from doing evil!! If we destroyed every gun in the world, evil would simply use a sword or knife or vehical to do it's evil!!! The assault rifle they found was still locked in the boys car trunk and never used in this assault, only pistols and a compulsion to do evil to the innocent :smt011
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

It has been proven time and time again, the only thing that will stop an evil or sick person with a gun is a good person with a gun who is willing to confront and kill if necessary. Most of the schools here at some part of the day have a cop or a deputy. Clinton, a liberal demigod, had a program passed to fund armed guards in schools. The liberal ninnies just want to complain and try to take my freedom to carry.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

wevans wrote:The assault rifle they found was still locked in the boys car trunk and never used in this assault, only pistols and a compulsion to do evil to the innocent :smt011
Where do you get your news over there? :wink: Not that it matters, but every report I've heard said that he used an Bushmaster AR-15 and the pistols were found in his pants.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-5 ... -massacre/
I'm not supporting a ban on assault weapons or a limit on how many rounds a magazine will hold... but for the sake of stirring things up:

1. Other than military and LEOs, why would anyone need more than a 10 round clip?
2. It takes a split second to change a magazine, so what's the problem with limiting the clip to 10.
3. What are the advantages of owning an assault weapon? Self protection?
4. Wouldn't banning assault weapons give those who don't own assault weapons an equal advantage?
5. Armed cops in schools makes them the first target for wackos but might be a good thing until one of those armed cops goes nuts... they're only human.
6. If you honestly think the mentally disturbed, criminals and terrorists should be alowed to purchase and own assault weapons,,,,you might fit into that first category.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

If they didn't have guns, they'd have bombs.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Juan wrote: Where do you get your news over there?
http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/14/us/connec ... index.html "Three weapons were recovered from the school: a semi-automatic .223 Bushmaster found in a car in the school parking lot, and a Glock and a Sig Sauer found with Lanza's body, a law enforcement official familiar with the investigation said. The weapons were legally purchased by Lanza's mother, the official said."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1220431 "Wearing a military-style vest, Adam Lanza killed his mother at their house, then stormed into Sandy Hook Elementary School carrying a Glock 9 mm handgun, a SIG Sauer handgun, killing 26 people, including 20 children, before turning the gun on himself. The two pistols were found inside the school and a .223-caliber Bushmaster rifle was found in the back of his mother's car in the parking lot."
RED ZONE 48

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

It's NOT the GUN's that are the Problem it's the PEOPLE. He could have used a Bow and Lots of Arrows to do the same thing. When the Victims Don't Fight Back and they are Little Kids and a Few Adults it's easy to Kill unarmed Helpless people. Even a single shot shotgun or rifle and a pocket full of Ammo when the Victims are Helpless . Fix the Criminal and the Mental Problem and you won't have this happening. If Guns were the Problem just think how many Cops and Military people have Guns as well as the Hunters , and they Are not out Killing .
Then look at the Criminals and the Mentally unstable who are. It's that simple.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Juan wrote:
wevans wrote:The assault rifle they found was still locked in the boys car trunk and never used in this assault, only pistols and a compulsion to do evil to the innocent :smt011
Where do you get your news over there? :wink: Not that it matters, but every report I've heard said that he used an Bushmaster AR-15 and the pistols were found in his pants.
I'm not supporting a ban on assault weapons or a limit on how many rounds a magazine will hold... but for the sake of stirring things up:

1. Other than military and LEOs, why would anyone need more than a 10 round clip?
2. It takes a split second to change a magazine, so what's the problem with limiting the clip to 10.
4. Wouldn't banning assault weapons give those who don't own assault weapons an equal advantage?
5. Armed cops in schools makes them the first target for wackos but might be a good thing until one of those armed cops goes nuts... they're only human.
6. If you honestly think the mentally disturbed, criminals and terrorists should be alowed to purchase and own assault weapons,,,,you might fit into that first category.

Juan, I am going to just ask two questions here:

Do you really think that if clips are limited to 10 rounds, that criminals will suddenly not be able to get them?

Would you please define "assault weapon"?

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Juan wrote:

Juan,

Why these questions? We're moving away from the issue; the social fabric of America and the obligations we have to other citizens. What are the negative consequences of having access to these guns? Do you think these specific guns give rise to the tragic events America has endured. Do you think pricing will stay the same if companies like Sig and Glock have to manufacturer two different products for LE vs. individuals? How do you handle guns like my lever action Browning .22; no clip but holds 21 rounds. I like it b/c I can shoot a limit of squirels, miss some and not have bullets rattling around in my vest.

A lot of folks varmit or deer hunt with what your refer to as an assault weapon. What does that even mean? Do 30.06 and .308 Remington 700s qualify? What about Glocks or 1911s commonly carried by LE? If you think think high capacity clips or semi-auto riffles don't have greater self defense abilities then some other weapons, then remember how long the US has been fighting unorganized troops with these same weapons in the Middle East. I would feel better having one in my safe if the attack on the Pentagon were successful or the power grid was otherwise impaired. Lets not foucs on the rights of US Citizens and how much incroachment is too much. We don't need another agency funded by tax dollars and run by another Czar to enforce new regulations...quite the opposite. We simply need to reinforce accountability for ones actions and decision making. Just my .02
Last edited by SHOWBOAT on December 23rd, 2012, 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.