Biden: "Obama exploring executive orders to stop gun violen

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

manley
Site Sponsor

Biden: "Obama exploring executive orders to stop gun violen

Post by manley »

CNN changes the headline if you hotlink to the article to read "White House, Wal-Mart, and the future of gun control."
I know this, because I shared it on FaceBook.
However, the article actually bears the headline that I showed in the "title" line for the thread.
It is also being reported on FoxNews.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/politics/ ... ?hpt=hp_t1
Lead paragraph for story:
President Barack Obama is exploring executive orders to help stop mass shootings in America, Vice President Joe Biden said Wednesday. "The president is going to act. Executive orders, executive action, can be taken," Biden told reporters before meetings with groups representing survivors of mass shootings. "We haven't decided what this is yet, but we're compiling it all with the help of the attorney general and all the rest of the Cabinet members."

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/01 ... ety-groups
Lead paragraph for story:
Vice President Biden suggested Wednesday that the White House could take unilateral action on gun control, as he kicked off a round of meetings aimed at finding ways to curb gun violence. The vice president met Wednesday with gun-safety and victims groups, saying he is "determined" to take "urgent action" to address gun violence.

We're fixing to learn what the second amendment means, boys.

Barry - If you must, put this in politics... but it is not intended to be political. This is about our rights!
RED ZONE 48

Re: Biden: "Obama exploring executive orders to stop gun vi

Post by RED ZONE 48 »

For those of you who didn't have HISTORY in School go back and read about Germany and HITLER the activity NOW and THEN it's very Similar, "Brown Shirts" may be next.
bman

Post by bman »

I'm going to allow some of this discussion on gun rights because it is sports related... but be careful.
Comments that are not thought through or are just cut and paste crap will not be tolerated.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MIKE REELMAN
Site Sponsor

Post by MIKE REELMAN »

gun control need to start at home / tv . on voilet acts
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Another unconstitutional move by a President who claims to be a Constitutional scholar. I would say I am amazed, but I lost that the first 10 times he made such illegal moves.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Mdnght_Wlf

Post by Mdnght_Wlf »

I think the words "executive action" used in conjunction with the words "gun control" are the most frightening things I have read in a long time. To allow one branch of the government to make such a monumental decision, one that affects Americans for generations to come, sounds like the path to a different form of government being adopted in the United States.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

We probably ought to start by making it illegal to kill someone. That would cover any means by which the act is perpetrated. If we would just make killing illegal, the method would sort itself out.
850-273-8818
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

That's funny right there lonesouth.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

WOULD BANNING FIREARMS REDUCE
MURDER AND SUICIDE?
A REVIEW OF INTERNATIONAL AND
SOME DOMESTIC EVIDENCE
http://www.law.harvard.edu/students/org ... online.pdf
The findings of two criminologists - Prof. Don Kates and Prof. Gary Mauser - in their exhaustive study of American and European gun laws and violence rates, are telling:

Nations with stringent anti-gun laws generally have substantially higher murder rates than those that do not. The study found that the nine European nations with the lowest rates of gun ownership (5,000 or fewer guns per 100,000 population) have a combined murder rate three times higher than that of the nine nations with the highest rates of gun ownership (at least 15,000 guns per 100,000 population).

For example, Norway has the highest rate of gun ownership in Western Europe, yet possesses the lowest murder rate. In contrast, Holland's murder rate is nearly the worst, despite having the lowest gun ownership rate in Western Europe. Sweden and Denmark are two more examples of nations with high murder rates but few guns. As the study's authors write in the report:

If the mantra "more guns equal more death and fewer guns equal less death" were true, broad cross-national comparisons should show that nations with higher gun ownership per capita consistently have more death. Nations with higher gun ownership rates, however, do not have higher murder or suicide rates than those with lower gun ownership. Indeed many high gun ownership nations have much lower murder rates. (p. 661)
Finally, and as if to prove the bumper sticker correct - that "gun don't kill people, people do" - the study also shows that Russia's murder rate is four times higher than the U.S. and more than 20 times higher than Norway. This, in a country that practically eradicated private gun ownership over the course of decades of totalitarian rule and police state methods of suppression. Needless to say, very few Russian murders involve guns.

The important thing to keep in mind is not the rate of deaths by gun - a statistic that anti-gun advocates are quick to recite - but the overall murder rate, regardless of means. The criminologists explain:

[P]er capita murder overall is only half as frequent in the United States as in several other nations where gun murder is rarer, but murder by strangling, stabbing, or beating is much more frequent. (p. 663 - emphases in original)
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
beekeeper

Post by beekeeper »

Thou shalt not murder
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Not one of these liberal ninnies seeking these gun controls can tell anyone how these controls would have stopped this latest school shooting. The obviously deranged kid stole his mother's legally obtained weapons. Are we going to accept that if we have a mentally ill relative that we will not be allowed to own a gun. If so, most of us would not be allowed to own a gun at all. This is nothing more than a knee jerk political reaction to carry out a stupid liberal agenda.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

Federalize ALL crimes involving a weapon! Ten year minimum sentence and the death sentence mandatory within a year following conviction for loss of life criminally involving a firearm. Without such a plan numerous states would simply treat mass murderers as potential lifers. Since the government is intentionally becoming the caretaker of medical records they must be held accountable for action or lack thereof in every case of potential or suspected mental problems. Can someone say HIPAA?
Oh, I forgot...HHS controls HIPAA so they can bend and break the rules any way they wish!
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

What if we just euthanized everyone with a mental disorder...problem solved, the libs should like that.
850-273-8818
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

lonesouth wrote:What if we just euthanized everyone with a mental disorder...problem solved, the libs should like that.

But there would be no more liberals! :o
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Post by guthooked »

Prosecutors need to stop agreeing to plea bargains that remove charges of felon in posession and use of firearm in commission of crime. We have adequate laws, just horrible enforcement. You will never hear Obama/Biden say "To stop gun violence we are going to start enforcing the laws we currently have". This doesn't grab headlines and get votes. You have to give them an A for strategy though. They have almost successfully drawn everyones attention away from the debt ceiling issue.