The Boat I almost purchased.....

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Time is getting closer to the test-drive. We're planning on either Monday, or Tuesday evening for the test drive, and if all goes well, we will close the deal on Wednesday, and it will be mine.

I am getting the butterflies just thinking about it. :lol:

MJ
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

I hope the test goes well. Just don't let the "buying fever" get in the way of your good judgement. :thumbup:
Ken
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Went to the seller's house today and checked the compression on each cylinder. All three had the same compression. We tested each cylinder 4 times to make sure the readings were accurate. There does not seem to be any internal problems. :) Mentioned the stern straps, and he said his wife probably knows where they are....

Tomorrow is test drive day...... :-?

MJ
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

I took the boat for a test drive today after work. First thing we did was flood the engine so it wouldn't start for a while.

While idling and going slow, the engine had a strong shimmy. Once the rpms got up, it was rather smooth.

The only things that really didn’t sit well with me were:

1.- the stiffness of the throttle made deceleration really jerky, someone could have been thrown off the boat if I was not careful.

2- While running on the top end, the boat pulled really hard to starboard. I had to fight it to make the boat turn to port. Something was our of adjustment on the foot that caused the torque to "pull" to starboard.

3- I could also feel allot of friction in the steering column.

Not to mention, I discovered I couldn't pull the boat with my current hitch on my TWD Toyota Truck, because the tongue weight would have pulled my bumper off after a few trips. I guess its back to the hunt....

Any last words? :cry:
Ken K
Site Sponsor

Post by Ken K »

Sorry it didn't work out for you.

If you really like the boat otherwise, you could tell the guy you will try it again after he fixes items 1-3.

Are you towing with your bumper? You are probably going to need a frame mounted hitch to tow much more than a jon boat.
Ken
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

The throttle probably is just stove up from sitting; the pulling can be fixed with a wrench in a few seconds, unless the anode is shot, then you need to replace it; steering, don't know would have to feel it; a class two/three hitch will fix the bumper issue......

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

If building a boat make it two :wink: :lol:
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

package deal, new boat + new vehicle...

I know of a '88 LeBaron...
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

mj... regarding the shimmy.... unless you've already checked this... with the shift in netural, spin the prop a few times while looking directly at the center of the prop hub. Check to see it there is a wobble in the end of the prop shaft.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
RHTFISH
Site Sponsor

Post by RHTFISH »

As one of my grandaughters tells me every time we see a red
Harley Road King (she's 6) or a boat I like or a truck I like
...."it's got our names written all over it."
:-D
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.
GC
Site Sponsor

Post by GC »

Not the same model, but the same manufacturer:This was posted on the "other site".
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=237373

Sir Reel: What has to be done to fix the wobble in the prop? New shaft?
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

GC wrote:
What has to be done to fix the wobble in the prop? New shaft?
Depends on how bad it is and I know that's a rather obscure answer. If it's not to bad TC has a technique involving a sledge hammer that has worked for him. I modified his approach a bit by hanging a plumb bob from the cavitation plate with the motor tilted up. Positioned the plumb bob where it was pointing to the center of the shaft (small hole in the end) and used that to determine how much it was off. I ended up having the shaft replaced but like I said TC's method will work if it's not real bad but be careful that you don't create more damage than you start out with :o
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
Eerman
Site Sponsor

Post by Eerman »

I don't know what you're wanting to spend. I'm also searching...and searching. I contacted Wefings and they have a 1989 17ft Mako with a 2002 Honda 90 and a 2002 trailer for 10,900. Don't know how flexible that price is...The motor has about 5 months of warranty left and he said they trailer has seen little use. I think there is also a fishfinder on the boat. I'll keep my eyes out while I'm looking.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

The seller notified me today that he sold the boat. Oh well....
:smt102 Here's to boat hunting :beer: :beer:

Thanks to everyone for all your comments, suggestions and assistance. It has been a true learning experience for me.

MJ
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

hang in ther MJ, it'll come when the moon and stars are in alignment
for petes sake
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”