Catfish

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Catfish

Post by wevans »

If you want a BIGGUN :-D catch some bream "hand size or smaller", break out your Grouper rig "80# test or better recommended", attach bream to a good sized and STRONG hook, drop to the bottom, raise it 2 or 3 foot and NEVER leave the rig unattended :thumbup: :thumbup: expect to get yer feelings hurt more than once while doing this :smt004 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Do what Wevans says. Shad make great bait too if you can net some. If you can find an area with some chunked up concrete or log jams that is even better. Flatheads like to get into holes or wedge in and under stuff. My old lot out in TX on Lake Tawakoni had a point of land with some concrete slabs on the end that were broken up and lifted on some ends making nice hidie holes for them. We caught them all spring, summer, and fall off this point on trot lines, a set pole built to swing out over the concrete, or on rod and reel at night while sitting around the fire.

For the smaller channel cats do like I said earlier and bait an area a few times a week with soured corn. Sprinkle it out so they don't get it all too quickly.
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

I've been doing real good down close to the damn on Talquin latley anchoring up in 20-25 foot water fishing with original sonnys channel cat stink bait. I always seem to come home with 15-25 nice channels between 1.5 to 7 pounds. Sure makes for some fine eating. :lick: You can get Sonnys bait at Charlie Tuna's bait and tackle on 20. Oh yeah don't lay your reel down while fishing, hold on to it they don't play around wth sonny's. :thumbup:
Gumbo

Post by Gumbo »

I was always told that hardheads were nasty. Friend down the street kept a bunch caught at the mouth of the St. Marks and fried them up. Quite tasty. I'd take trout over them in a minute but they were good.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

imagejpeg_2(2).jpg
imagejpeg_2(2).jpg (91.03 KiB) Viewed 990 times
Recent Talquin cats.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?