New to the Panacea area

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Rhodes

New to the Panacea area

Post by Rhodes »

Hey guys, I am a true green horn fisherman when it comes to the Panacea area. Me and a friend plan to start fishing this area and our first trip will be the 22nd & 23rd of March. We will be staying on Ochlocknee Bay just south of the bridge on the East side. We will be fishing out of a J16 Skiff. We've fished numerous times out of Steinhatchee and Keaton beach so we're familiar with fishing in the big bend but I understand the Panacea area will be somewhat different. What might we expect to catch in late March? Where might the best place be to launch and fish in the area? I'm just trying to mitigate the learning curve as much as possible before we ever get on the water. Any info and advice would be greatly appreciated....thanks
neckmoe

Re: New to the Panacea area

Post by neckmoe »

Good luck catfishing.
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Welcome Aboard Rhodes :thumbup:

There are allot of folks here with a bunch of experience in and around that area. From my own experience the bay north of the bridge is very shallow especially when the tide is out and the wind is out of the north. There is a good hole 1/4 mile south east of the bridge. You can find it if you have a depth finder. Fishing live shrimp or cut bait on the incoming tides on the back sides of the oyster bars should produce red fish and trout. We've had a ton of rain, this may have a big impact on your fishing....
Last edited by mjsigns on March 4th, 2013, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I'm confused. The o bay bridge runs north south. I don't think there are any houses on the se side of the bridge( unless you're talking about bald point). Not sure where the bay to the north is. North of the bridge is land. Is there another bridge that y'all are referring to?
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
bman

Post by bman »

When he says North think head of the bay...where the river feeds in.
With all this rain the bay will be flushed with fresh water. Not a typical pattern.
Also expect it to be very muddy- even though it is usually muddy but it will be like chocolate milk.

My dad was fishing an area that produced redfish a week ago. Two days ago he caught an 8lb catfish.

It will take some time for the saltwater fish to move back in.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

When he says north I think north. The river feeds is on the west side. Anyway, depending on where you are staying there are 4 ramps starting at the state park moving downriver to Mashe sands at the mouth. The fishing is usually pretty good on the bars bats between Mashe and bald point. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Thanks for all the helpful info...I really appreciate it. Also, sorry for the confusion on exactly where we will be staying. I didn't realize that 98 bridge over och bay actually ran north to south. With that in mind we will be staying NE of the bridge right there at Angelo's. I've attached a map with the red dot locating approx where we will be staying. It looks like the tides will be in our favor, at least for navigating since the low tides will be in the positive range on the 22nd and 23rd. From what I understand the Och bay may have a load of fresh water from all the rainfall...what's the fishing like in Alligator bay as we are willing to trailer the boat to to other destinations in the area to fish.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Rhodes - I also didn't know the bridge runs north and south, but when you are there without a compass you will know what I am talking about. Now I see where you are going to stay on the other side of the bridge (toward the river mouth). There is nice public ramp at "Mashes Sands" that is concrete and empties out near the mouth of the river, but the cut at the river is kind of narrow on a low tide. There are channel markers that will guide you in and out of the river mouth. You will find the oyster bars around the mouth of the river. If you get out of the river and head north? (seems more like east to me) and head a few miles you may make it up near the "Bottoms". I've been there in my truck but I can't help you in the "bottoms" area. Perhaps Wevans (or others) could provide you with some fishing guidance with that area sine you will be closer to the mashes sands ramp area.

Over in Alligator harbour there are two somewhat public boat ramps, 1- Ramp located off Mariners Circle drive (it is supposed to be private, but I've put in there w/o any problems). but it is a sand ramp with a deep blow-hole. Don't try here unless you have a 4-wheel drive. and get out of the water before the tide falls (been stranded there unable to trailer the boat once :smt091 ) 2-the second ramp is on alligator point down toward the private marina, however there is no place to park your trailer. Alligator harbour is also very shallow on a low tide, 2.5 and less in most places. There is a channel that runs on the back side of Alligator point that will lead you out of the harbour into the Turkey Shoals area. Turkey Point shoals is where you will "catch" and not just "fish". It is also my personal favorite fishing area, and the fishing should be "busting loose" by April 22nd and 23rd. You may have difficulty if you wait too late in the day to launch at mariners circle (warning: at low tide your trailer will drop into the blow hole and trailer tires will not be in contact with the bottom) 4-wheel drive is absolute necessity on low tide. (don't get stranded in the late evening because the no-see-ums will eat you alive)
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Thanks for that info MJ. We're actually gonna be down there the 22nd and 23rd of this month. Will the trout bite be on you think that early in the year? I know April is a dynamite month for inshore but I've never tested the waters in late April. also, is their any Spanish around in late march?
lizbeth
Site Sponsor

Post by lizbeth »

PM sent
Pirate Girl
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Rhodes - It all comes down to water temperatures (and tides, moon phases), the warmer the water (76 degrees being ideal) the more success you will have also watch the tides, 1 hour before high and up to an hour after high tide is optimal. There is a bait & tackle shop on the corner of 98 and Mashes Sand road. They normally stock live shrimp and also have limited fishing tackle. The closest ramp to you will be at Mashes Sands.
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Any recommendations on the best fishing map for this area and where i might get my hands on one?
Mo Redd

Post by Mo Redd »

If you have a smart phone with GPS you can download the Navionics map for the whole Big Bend area for about $10.50. It has depths, etc. You'll need either data time or a wireless server to download the map, selecting the Big Bend area, but when you're on the water it works without using the internet because all the data has been downloaded into the phone.
dkent53

Post by dkent53 »

Florida sportsmen sells a nice fishing map of the apalachee Bay Area that you will be fishing. shows where fish are at different times of year. your best bet is to lauch at mashes sands landing and fish oyster bars straight out from landing toward bald point. till you learn the area stay in channels, oyster bars re numerous. i used to own one of the condos where you will be staying, there is plenty of fishermen there that will be able to point you in the right direction, and yes bridge does run north and south. chaires creek is another good spot for you to try, lots of good holes up there on the outside bends of creek. live shrimp under cajun thunder works best. good luck and lets us know how you did
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

U can stop in at the crum's store and probably get a hotspots map there too and maybe some info where to go and tackle too.