Flint rock

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Flint rock

Post by Dockwilson »

I am looking for flint rock found locally. Anyone have any ideas of where and how to find it?
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Flint rock

Post by wevans »

You could try the Flint river :-D :smt004 :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Be careful of picking up ANY rock in Florida. You could be arrested for stealing "artifacts"

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

I know a guy in Albany,Ga. that makes arrowheads he knows where to get tons of flint rock pm me and I will give you his number if you would like
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

I took my son to the artifact show at the Elks Lodge the weekend before last. He caught the bug to find an arrowhead but...
After the show, about 13 folks were arrested for dealing in artifacts. I sort of think the show was a sting operation to get them all in one place.
I would be careful right now about hunting flint or artifacts.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Dubble Trubble wrote:Be careful of picking up ANY rock in Florida. You could be arrested for stealing "artifacts"

Dubble :thumbup:
I'm not looking for artifacts, just flint to make arrowheads myself. Flint itself is not illegal is it?
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

good heavens, when did it become illegal to pick up an arrowhead...SMH...
850-273-8818
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

bayrunner22 wrote:I know a guy in Albany,Ga. that makes arrowheads he knows where to get tons of flint rock pm me and I will give you his number if you would like
Are you talking about me?
Team Jolly Mon
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

GA law for PRIVATE property.
Laws passed in 1992 make it illegal to dig, disturb, or harm an archaeological site without the written permission of the landowner. Anyone who intends to dig on a site with the permission of the landowner must notify the Department of Natural Resources before the dig begins.

It is not legal to surface collect, dig, or metal detect on state property. This includes Civil War sites. (OCGA 12-3-10(n), 12-3-52)
A very quick way to get yourself in trouble is to hunt arrowheads on the Flint or associatted creeks in SW GA.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

Any land that borders the Flint will have the rock on it. All you need is permission from the landowner to look for it.