Alligator Point

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

setty7

Alligator Point

Post by setty7 »

Guys,
Hope yall are enjoying this beautiful weather! Its spring break for me and I am going to Alligator Point for the week. How is the fishing in the bay? Im taking my 17ft key west down there. Anything I need to worry about? Low areas, rocks, etc? Good spots to fish? Thanks for yalls help! Have a blessed day and week.

Setty
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: Alligator Point

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Oyster bars everywhere.
Shallow water everywhere.
No fish this time of year.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
setty7

Post by setty7 »

JT cant take you seriously lol
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Hehehe
Attachments
devil-face.jpg
devil-face.jpg (28.33 KiB) Viewed 2523 times
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

JT's right. The bay is deceptively shallow everywhere, since your Key West is like mine, you can get around on plane pretty well. If the water temp ever hits 70 or more degrees, you should find the fish. I have not had much success in the bay. Stay in the channel and go around the tip of of the point and head toward these numbers (in this general vicinity) N29 54.090 W84 27.748 It is well within your reach. You should find some good fishing very close to this point I have given to you. Regularly when spring hits, the grass on the bottom grows, the pin fish move in followed by the predators trout,reds, and spanish. Best tactic is to drift and jig with soft plastics, or live shrimp. Lots of live bottom and a good variety of fish to be caught. I'll say it again... Find the water temp where it is 70 or more degrees, you will find the fish. The water in the St. Marks was 64-65 where we fished. We never made it to the gulf, so the water is still a bit chilly. The water over in the bay should be warmer. Hope this helps... Good Luck :thumbup:
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thanks for the info! Is it free to launch down there? And where should we put in?
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

I fished the Bay this weekend and the trout bit was good. I got my limit within an hour and all were between 16 and 18 inches. I fished at the mouth of the harbor on the edge of the channel with live shrimp. The trout seem to be located right on the edge of the grass flats as it deepens into the channel. Did not see any Reds.
setty7

Post by setty7 »

Thanks for your comments! Since you have recent first hand experience, can you update me on depths please? I will most likely put in halfway down at the public or it may be private boat ramp across from the public entrance to the beach. Or put in at the marina. Y'all please update me as we are heading down tmw. Thanks again
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

I generally wade fish the area and tend to walk in off HWY 98 at St. Teresa. However, when I have launched small boats, I do it at Lenard's Landing which is the boat launch on HWY 98 were the claim stakes are. I personally cant help you with the other launch locations, but I think there are limited to usage and parking. As far as the depth of the water, it just depends. The grass flats where I fish can get real skinny in low tide. At peak high tide, you should be able to work the shore line in your boat without a problem. The channel should be plenty deep regardless of tide to run your boat and it is marked with white PVC poles at the mouth.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

I use Leonard's landing all the time, but always with my Gheenoe...and I've had to pick it up off the trailer and set it into the water plenty of times. That's also a landing where 4 wheel drive can be your best friend. The concrete ramp isn't very big, and if it isn't high tide, I usually end up having to back down off the slab to get into enough water to launch.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

There is a semi-public improved ramp off Mariners circle drive. Make you you get your boat out of the water before the tide falls. My trainer dropped off on the blow hole and My truck got stuck. It is the only ramp in the area that has limited road-side parking. Be polite and remember you are a visitor and don't be a space hog. You might have to walk a little bit but it's well worth it.