Boat suggestions please

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Boat suggestions please

Post by Dockwilson »

Want to buy a boat that I can fish 4 people comfortably, flats & bay. I need something I can tow with Tacoma 4 cylinder.
Any thoughts?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat suggestions please

Post by fishinfool »

Sea Ark 1860 tunnel hull
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

THAT 20 FT. DURACRAFT ALUM IS VERY STABLE, RUNS SHALLOW, DOESN'T TAKE VERY LARGE MTR. TO MAKE IT SCOOT ACROSS THE WATER, WITH A 115 EVINRUDE SHE WILL JUST FLY WITH 4 PEOPLE AND GEAR.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I would say a Carolina Skiff, probably larger than 21 to fish four people. We have a 22 foot Cape Horn and it fishes 3 well and 4 if the 4 are good casters. I think they would light enough, though you better check. If not the largest aluminum boat you can tow would be my recommendation.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Dockwilson wrote:Want to buy a boat that I can fish 4 people comfortably, flats & bay. I need something I can tow with Tacoma 4 cylinder.
Any thoughts?
I would first check to see what the tow rating is for the Tacoma. I had a single cab 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder that I used to tow my 1756 G3 (aluminum boat) with. I wouldn't recommend going much heavier. I would start with your tow rating and then see what boats fall into that category. You may find that you need a bigger truck, but hopefully not.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

captkeyser wrote:
Dockwilson wrote:Want to buy a boat that I can fish 4 people comfortably, flats & bay. I need something I can tow with Tacoma 4 cylinder.
Any thoughts?
I would first check to see what the tow rating is for the Tacoma. I had a single cab 1999 Tacoma 4 cylinder that I used to tow my 1756 G3 (aluminum boat) with. I wouldn't recommend going much heavier. I would start with your tow rating and then see what boats fall into that category. You may find that you need a bigger truck, but hopefully not.
X2 and don't forget to figure the FULLY loaded weight of the boat, fuel etc.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Badbagger wrote:
captkeyser wrote:
Any thoughts?
X2 and don't forget to figure the FULLY loaded weight of the boat, fuel etc.
My tow rating is 3500 lbs. and 350 lbs tongue load.
FHC
Site Sponsor

Post by FHC »

you get in a bind with 3500 lbs you will be in more trouble than a pregnant nun :D
JohnA

Post by JohnA »

I too have a 4 banger YOTA. I was pleasantly suprised with the torque the inline 4 cylinder has. As long as you put the tranny in 3rd, there is little problem.
Right now I am pulling a 17 cape horn. I cannot honestly say it doesnt know its back there but it pulls it fine. you could do a lot worse than The 17 cape horn with a 4 stroke.
I like my combo toyota plus cape horn = HAPPY CAMPER:)
bigphishy

Post by bigphishy »

i would go with one of the hyper lift bay series from express. you could get away with the h18b but if you were always fishing 4 people the h22b would certainly be a better option. check these boats out in person at jack's boats in perry
carolinaskiff238dlv

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

I have a Carolina Skiff 238 DLV. I absolutley love it. It's powered with the new Suzuki 140 4 stroke. I got a nice tandem axle trailer under it also. I pretty much always fish 4-6 people. Always plenty of room and it rides like a cadillac. The only problem you would have with something like this would be "NOT ENOUGH TRUCK"!
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

I am trying to decide between Xpress 20' and Sea Ark 20'. Both have center consoles, tunnel hull and Yamaha 115 4 stoke.
Sea Ark is more money.
Thoughts anyone?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Lucus Ross has his 20 ft express for sale and it has a 150 Yamaha on it with SIG series power pole,trolling motor and GPS if your interested.I think he is asking 25000 for it.his name is ljr on here if interested hit him up he is in perry.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I have an 18 foot Sea Ark Tunnel Hull with a 90 Honda. Stripped out the interior and rebuilt it with all foam products to make a total fishing platform out of it. Twelve years now and haven't had the first problem.