Should I buy extended warranty?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Should I buy extended warranty?

Post by Dockwilson »

Ok, I am buying a new boat. I usually DON'T buy extended warranty. 115 Yamaha comes w 3 yr manufacturers warranty. For another 1k I can buy another 3 from Yamaha, transferable. What do you think?
reelbad

Re: Should I buy extended warranty?

Post by reelbad »

I think most of the outboards are pretty reliable so I don't think I would spend the extra for the warranty. I would probably use the extra for other gear such as fishing, electronics, etc. I think the only problems you might have with the new motor would be from hitting something like rocks and such and that is what insurance is for. Just my thoughts. By the way, I hope you don't need to call the insurance agent. :thumbup:
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Think of it as either 3 extra years of "peace of mind" or be $1000 short.
A transferable warranty makes it more marketable (more room for negotiation if selling) if down the line you change your mind about owning a boat. or have a life changing event. :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Those motors are very reliable.
You can do a lot of repairs for 1000 bucks.
Follow Reelbads' advice.
Buy insurance and a SeaTow membership.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

if this is a new boat from a dealer yamaha should have a rebate on the motor an extended warranty in place of it for no charge for the extra 3 years.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

mpa_72001 wrote:if this is a new boat from a dealer yamaha should have a rebate on the motor an extended warranty in place of it for no charge for the extra 3 years.
I think the rebate expired Sunday :x
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I got the extended instead of the 750 rebate on mine last year.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Those motors are very reliable.
You can do a lot of repairs for 1000 bucks.
Follow Reelbads' advice.
Buy insurance and a SeaTow membership.
Kinda my thoughts exactly.
Thanks folks
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Buy the warranty! The problems will happen in the second 3 year period. With labor rates around $90-$95 an hour contrary to JT's statement, you can get to 1K pretty quickly. I promise!
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

VERY VERY cheap insurance.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

If something catastrophic is going to happen it will be in the first year. I had a power head blow on a 6 day old Yamaha four stroke last year with 2 hours on it. And Yamaha really disappointed me with how they handled it too. Their customer service is horrible. Make sure your dealer is someone you can work with. If not, buy a Mercury.
Team Jolly Mon
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

That is the first time that I have ever heard anything negative about Yamaha's customer service. :o
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

captkeyser wrote:That is the first time that I have ever heard anything negative about Yamaha's customer service. :o
Yeah, same here. I always heard good stuff but I think that was because of people's experiences with their dealers. My dealer was great. But if you actually deal with the Yamaha Corporation, they are awful. They have recently restructured and moved their outboard division to Kennesaw, GA. I guess they decided that there is no need to spend money on customer service training. I have a friend on Macon who had a similar experience with a Yamaha F70. He filed a complaint with the BBB. I was very disappointed with how they handles both situations. I have purchased 8 Yamaha outboards throughout the years, so I was a huge supporter. I still think they make a quality product and most people never have to worry about warranty repairs because the motors are that good. But in my case, I saw the ugly side of the company. Sorry to hijack your thread......I don't think you need to spend the $1000 on the warranty. That 115 is a good motor.
Team Jolly Mon
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

My warranty just ran out in October.....So far I have spent about $2500 out of my pocket on parts & part servicing! I have been doing all the labor, if I had paid someone to do the work, I would be around $3500.

Albeit most of my work is PM - had fuel rails & injectors cleaned - fuel regulators &tracker valve rebuilt, misc parts $1000, two air injectors bad at WOT $800 :o
replaced water pump, replaced steel reeds with carbon reeds, hose here and a gasket there...it adds up quick

half my bill would have been covered under warranty, plus they would be doing the labor

So, yes in my opinion...more warranty the better