Anchor suggestions

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Anchor suggestions

Post by Dockwilson »

I am getting a G3 1966 tunnel. I usually fish out of St. Marks, but I never used an anchor on my Gheenoe. What type and size anchor should I get? How much line with would you recommend?
grasscarp

Re: Anchor suggestions

Post by grasscarp »

5 times the rope for the depth you plan to be fishing. Example 10 feet fishing depth have 50 feet of rope. You probably wont need it but if conditions get rough you might
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

I've been wanting to try a box anchor, but can't justify the cost right now

http://www.slideanchor.com/default.aspx
850-273-8818
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Delta fast set or FX-7 Fortress and at least 100' of line and 15' of chain. Don't skimp on your chain and 5/16th" or 3/8" should be fine. Just my two pennies.
littlejohn
Site Sponsor

Post by littlejohn »

Badbagger is on the money. Anything less might work some times, but you should plan for the worst conditions you may be in. If not you may live to regret not doing so.
RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

lonesouth wrote:I've been wanting to try a box anchor, but can't justify the cost right now

http://www.slideanchor.com/default.aspx
:o That's a lot of doll-hairs for an anchor. Does it come with a snorkel and fins?...It should.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

I've read reviews on the box anchors and well, I'll just stick to something else thanks.
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tidedancer »

Badbagger wrote:Delta fast set or FX-7 Fortress and at least 100' of line and 15' of chain. Don't skimp on your chain and 5/16th" or 3/8" should be fine. Just my two pennies.
X2
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

I got a SWEET deal on a anchor pole from Mr. Badbagger. Man was it a good deal...Shout out to ya Badbagger.. :-D
Well now I'm looking to make some sort of bracket to hold it to my boat.I'd prefer NOT to drill holes in my boat as I may sell it soon to upgrade to something nicer. Im thinking of taking 1" pvc bout 1' long cutting a 6" piece off and cuttin it vertical.So that way one side is flat(kinda).Then use the 3M fast set that was recomended to adhere the pole together and use it to glue both the cut side of the pvc to the second piece so that I have a tube fixed to a flat side then glueing it to the boat.I'd rather scrape glue that fill holes...Please any suggestions are welcomed...I checked out some of Skinnywater's products and may in the future buy someting but I'd like to try a DIY first.

THANKS
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Hey thanks Oreocwby, I think the anchor poles turned out really great. Here's what I am going to use to hold it to the boat: I bought a 3/4" and a 1" set since I've got both diameters on my anchor pole due to the extension: http://www.ebay.com/itm/370777363778?ss ... 1439.l2649
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Very cool I'm going to check some where local in hopes to find something but if I'm not able to find it locally then that looks awsome
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Get one that will fit in your anchor compartment. On the flats, you will find that a good drift sock will be more useful.
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

These are what I got to secure my anchor pin to the side of the boat.

http://www.iboats.com/Pole-Storage-Clip ... w_id.39357

If you don't want to drill, get some 3M two sided tape and use that. I used the tape to readhere the Toyota and 4Runner emblems on my 4r. They're still stuck well after 2 years of sun, rain and seasons.
850-273-8818
oreocwby

Post by oreocwby »

Any one know where I could find these anchor clips locally??
lonesouth
Site Sponsor

Post by lonesouth »

850-273-8818