Garmin G2 Bluechart

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Garmin G2 Bluechart

Post by Dockwilson »

Has anyone used Garmin G2 Bluechart for this area? Is it worth the price? How does it differ from what is standard on a Garmin?
Thanks
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: Garmin G2 Bluechart

Post by zload »

My 740s came with the G2 chart, it didn't show "a" rock in Steinhatchee :smt011 but seems to pretty comprehensive with normal navigation stuff. I've compared to the Navionics charts and they seem pretty similar. What specific chart features are you looking for?
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Not worth it. For this area it doesn't really add anything to the pre-loaded charts. I got the Vision upgrade to get the arial photos to see the oyster bars and such that you can see on Google Earth. Problem is the photo overlays that Garmin advertises only cover land masses and don't cover any water except for marinas, etc.
Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Post by Dockwilson »

zload wrote:My 740s came with the G2 chart, it didn't show "a" rock in Steinhatchee :smt011 but seems to pretty comprehensive with normal navigation stuff. I've compared to the Navionics charts and they seem pretty similar. What specific chart features are you looking for?
I was just wanting more detail. But it doesn't sound like it makes much difference.
Thanks
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

exactly what Demon said. I upgraded and now I can see the detail of LAND!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

The G2 is the basemap for many Garmin fixed units the upgrade map is the G2 Vision. Not worth the cost in my opinion, it has some 3D stuff and satellite imagery for harbor approaches etc. but I didn't see the utility here in the flatlands. I don't recall there being any difference in the chart detail level i.e. contours, channel markers etc. If you don't have the G2 basemap then you would probably like it.
2008 Yamaha 150
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

The G2 is the basemap for many Garmin fixed units the upgrade map is the G2 Vision. Not worth the cost in my opinion, it has some 3D stuff and satellite imagery for harbor approaches etc. but I didn't see the utility here in the flatlands. I don't recall there being any difference in the chart detail level i.e. contours, channel markers etc. If you don't have the G2 basemap then you would probably like it.

Double post - loose nut behind the iPad :D
2008 Yamaha 150