Mr. April

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Mr. April

Post by onefishtwofish »

Great story.

Funny I was not that far away by boat and our combined red and trout barely beat your red. :smt012

As far as the "violation" I have always wondered if it is a X # of fish per person on the boat bag limit or is it like duck hunting, where you shoot the duck and it is your duck-no mixing. I have always been told it is 5 trout per person on the boat, only one over 20", but did not matter who caught what as long as it did not exceed the limit. I have never heard of marking fish (to know who caught what) like you have to do for ducks (to be legal by USFWS regulations). Also, if duck hunting and I am not over my limit, but you give me a duck or two (that I did not shoot) and I am still under my limit, I must mark your license number and other info individually on each bird. Never heard of that being a requirement for fishing. Can someone enlighten me on where to find these regs?
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Well aren't we getting picky on the over twenty fish. who the H--l cares who caught the fish as long as the limit isn't broken. Are any one of you guys telling me that you would throw back a over 20 trout if there were two or more anglers on the boat and the others had not caught an over size fish? Tournament or no tournament. I guess you will also have your brother, friend, neighbor, get the gun you sell them in private registered like the dictator ship in Washington wants us to do. Sorry for the rant but I am fed up with all the political correctness and bowing down to all the BS that is coming our way. By the way Casey, you wrote a hell of a fishing report. I will say, I was pulling for my guys Chuck, Jeff and Steve to do good but if they couldn't win I was happy to find out you guys got the win.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DOESN'T MATTER WHO CAUGHT THE OVERSIZE TROUT, THE LAW IS YOU CAN HAVE 1 FISH OVER 20 INCHES FOR EACH FISHERMAN ON BOARD.. 2 FISHERMEN=====2 TROUT OVER 20 INCHES.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Fish Masterson
Site Sponsor

Post by Fish Masterson »

on another note, I will utilize my live well, and upgrade a fish as long as I can return the smaller one to the water unharmed. most big redfish tournaments have adopted this rule when the bag limit was one per person. Quit being such sticklers guys. Ashley is a great fisherman, and I'm sure he's abiding by the rules. Great job guys!
The Liver is EVIL and Must be Punished
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I am with u reel bad if u have more than one person on the boat what's it matter.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Fish Masterson wrote:on another note, I will utilize my live well, and upgrade a fish as long as I can return the smaller one to the water unharmed. most big redfish tournaments have adopted this rule when the bag limit was one per person. Quit being such sticklers guys. Ashley is a great fisherman, and I'm sure he's abiding by the rules. Great job guys!

That is what I thought a release well was for, but apparently culling redfish in florida is illegal( not other states). Not sure about trout. But once a red goes in the well it isn't supposed to be culled for a bigger fish. Also against the rules in the RTS. And according to FWC and tourney director, the trout limit is per vessel not per angler, so it was all fair and square. Y'all don't spend all that money in one place.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
High Hope
Site Sponsor

Post by High Hope »

Great read. Congratulations. :-?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

It is illegal to cull all saltwater fish which have a limit.

So where does the rule state it is a vessel per person limit?
Are any one of you guys telling me that you would throw back a over 20 trout if there were two or more anglers on the boat and the others had not caught an over size fish?
I would if that was the law. I don't think it is. I know when I have shot my Canvasback, I do not shoot another one and if we go home with less than our limit of Cans, it is because someone did not shoot well. Laws are laws. Even the dumb ones are for every one.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I don't think anyone did any culling, they simply had a two man limit when it came down to having two trout over twenty". In tournament fishing you always leave a slot open for your big fish.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

What is the REAL trout limit -- no tourney -- say for two guys fishing off of one boat??
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

10 fish, five each with one of the five being over twenty per angler.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Thanks for the info!
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

My nephew just read the rules. harvesting a fish is not the same as catching a fish (otherwise, you could only catch until you caught 5 trout, 2 reds, 10 flounder, etc and would have to stop fishing). Harvesting it is putting it on ice or in your livewell-it is now your fish. So if your buddy catches it and you put it in the livewell as your fish, all is fine. He then catches another and puts in in the livewell as his fish. All legal.

The simple way to know that is true, have you ever been asked who caught what when stopped by LEO? Of course they would ask if you were over limit, cause then they would know who to write the ticket to.

I have been stopped by both FWC and USFWS and been asked by both "Whose ducks are whose?". That is the difference. When you shoot the duck, it is your duck until you clean it or gift it. Even cleaned or gifted, it still counts against your daily bag limit. Dang, I wish I could shoot and release ducks. They don't taste like redfish.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

reelbad wrote:10 fish, five each with one of the five being over twenty per angler.
It does not say which angler(person) (harvester) etc.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

STICKLER FOR THE RULES
I fished the RTSO with Ashley 2 years ago.
He landed the perfect tournament redfish.
The rules stated (a) hook must be IN the fishes mouth to be a legal tournament catch.
The fish side slammed the lure.
All hooks were on the side of the fishes head.
I thought he was going to cry when he released the red.
As he released it he said,"rules are rules,no sense keeping it".

I have fished many tournaments as well as fun fishing with him.
There were 3 people on this boat.
I know from personal experience fishing with him that if they had 3 over in the cooler OR live well,and a 10 pound monster was caught,the monster would be released.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?