Water pump issue

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wevans
Site Sponsor

Water pump issue

Post by wevans »

I put a new impeller, gaskets and cover in the motor, ran it on the hose and all worked fine, put it in the water and no pee, brought it home, put it on the hose and no pee, hooked the hose to the washout connector and water comes out of the pee hole and everywhere else, put the ears on it and no pee :evil:
This is a 2002 Yammy 40 four stroke. What the heck is the problem? :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Re: Water pump issue

Post by Sea Fox »

Could have a bad impeller .
Sea Ya !
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

wevans wrote:I put a new impeller, gaskets and cover in the motor, ran it on the hose and all worked fine, put it in the water and no pee, brought it home, put it on the hose and no pee, hooked the hose to the washout connector and water comes out of the pee hole and everywhere else, put the ears on it and no pee :evil:
This is a 2002 Yammy 40 four stroke. What the heck is the problem? :beer:
Seems I heard that they could get installed backwards? and the impeller would not push water. I'm no motor tech that's for sure. Hope you get it fixed.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Couple of things come to mind.

Are you SURE the key that drives the impeller did not fall out when putting the impeller on?

Does that one have a thermostat?

Some of the motors have a water tube that feeds the motorhead from the pump. It can not engage properly when you put the foot back on and cause this too?

Just hittin on what comes to mind from doing this many times.....

Re-reading your post.....Sounds like the key either is missing, or sheared for some reason..

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Impeller blades are backwards.
I've done it too.
Take it out and twist the blades in the opposite direction.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Impeller blades are backwards.
I've done it too.
Take it out and twist the blades in the opposite direction.

Not so sure JT. I have seen them put in wrong and they USUALLY will flip the right way when water load hits. They should still pump SOME water if backwards. What may have happened is that he had them backwards and when they tried to flip, the key sheared or the impeller hub split! He said it worked at first.... When they bind up trying to "flip" it puts a huge amount of pressure on the hub.

Here is the RIGHT way to install them

Be sure yours is oriented this way. Many think the blades "cup" the water. but they actually "sling" it.

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Before you get to deep into this problem, run a piece of florist wire up into the discharge pee hole. It might be one of those dad gum mud-dobbers' that has made it's home in your pee line discharge hole. When not in use you might want to stick a tooth pick or a golf tee into that hole to keep them boogers out. :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
RodBow
Site Sponsor

Post by RodBow »

sounds more like the impeller prob, but to augment MJ's suggestion I found heavy weekwacker string works to clear a pee clog (and its a lot handier than florist wire - you sissy)
Last edited by RodBow on April 21st, 2013, 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
use your opportunities ...

218 Carolina Skiff
25 Bayliner Deck
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

If you check a lot of the boats that are left in the water on lake talquin and down on the river they will have a 10 to 12 inch piece of stiff leader wire tied to the side of the motor at all times for that situation.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Reading comprehension Lesson # 437:

"put it on the hose and no pee, hooked the hose to the washout connector and water comes out of the pee hole and everywhere else, put the ears on it and no pee"

So, no stoppy uppy peehole! :-D

I also was wondering about that "florist wire"... :roll:

Dubble
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Sure sounds like an impeller problem to me....also be sure to put some grease on the impeller when you install it. Putting it in dry can cause the blades to be ripped apart before the get broken in good.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Rodbow says. "...... to augment MJ's suggestion I found heavy week wacker string works to clear a pee clog (and its a lot handier than florist wire - you sissy)"

Coming from someone who has not had their boat in the water for two years, I figure you should have the market cornered.... So who is the, "Sissy" here? :smt017 :smt064

:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 :smt005
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Drop it back down and take a looky see. Is the impeller shaft splined or have a removable spline? Mine has a removable spline, could have slipped....if it was backwards, it should right itself.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

It's working now :thumbup: still don't know what the problem was though! I took it apart, made sure it was all together right and put it back on, still no worky :evil: took it back off, double checked everything, put it back together and it worked "didn't change anything" :smt012 I can only conclude that there was an air leak and when I put it together the last time, I finally sealed it good and allowed it to create a suction :beer: :beer:
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Glad to hear you fixed it :thumbup: