Mr. April

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Mr. April

Post by silverking »

Capt. Dave,

Thank you for your inquiry. A person may only harvest one trout over 20 inches per day. The one oversized fish does count towards the person’s bag limit. Also, there is no recreational vessel limit for seatrout. The bag limit applies per person, and each person on board may have their one fish over 20 inches.

Please see Florida Administrative Code 68B-37.002 for the definition of “harvest” and 68B-37.003 for information on size limits.

When situations like the actions at the fishing tournament are presented to us after the fact, we typically take an educational approach. In the past, our staff has worked with coordinators for this tournament and we will continue to do so. Please feel free to post this information on the message board so that anglers will be clear on the regulations for the future.

Katie Purcell
Community Relations Coordinator
Division of Law Enforcement
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission

"Patrol, Protect, Preserve"
www.myfwc.com
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Good information here SK.
When situations like the actions at the fishing tournament are presented to us after the fact, we typically take an educational approach. In the past, our staff has worked with coordinators for this tournament and we will continue to do so

She is saying learn from it.
Get over it.
Move on.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Thanks Capt. Dave for going to the trouble to get the official word.

Nothing like the facts to ruin a good rant.

Moving on. :smt004
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

rockyg wrote:Thanks Capt. Dave for going to the trouble to get the official word.

Nothing like the facts to ruin a good rant.

Moving on. :smt004
You really should read ALL the post.
This was known and posted days ago.
Just different words.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
grasshopper

Post by grasshopper »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Good information here SK.
When situations like the actions at the fishing tournament are presented to us after the fact, we typically take an educational approach. In the past, our staff has worked with coordinators for this tournament and we will continue to do so

She is saying learn from it.
Get over it.
Move on.

With this not so new educational information you are now admitting a fwc violation was committed in said tournament and half the people you know fishing tournaments are also in violation. If so yes we will move on or you can continue grasping at straws to try and justify obvious fwc violations, especially the one about the harvester being the one putting the fish in the ice or livewell or even the net man :lol
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Yes, we all make mistakes. In this particular case the rules of the tournament, including complying with all state laws, were not followed. The official administering the polygraph exam did not ask all the pertinent questions. So the final standings and integrity of future RTSO events are in doubt.

There is no question these guys are accomplished anglers and boated an impressive stringer. But in a tournament setting (or any other time, for that matter) the responsibility to know the rules and laws--and abide by them--rests with the individual participants.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Well I think that pretty much clears it up. So on future tournaments, will those that do not follow this rule pass the polygraph? And will the person administering the polygraph ask this question? It should just be fair for all and correct according to the law. I was wrong and I am not ashamed to say it. I would have passed a polygraph if I had done that and they asked if I did anything illegal. It is EXACLTY like a duck limit and that is easy for me to understand. Thanks to all who looked it up or asked for the interpretation.

In day to day fishing, this would never come up on my boat because over 20" are realeased unless mortally wounded anyways.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

onefishtwofish wrote:Well I think that pretty much clears it up. So on future tournaments, will those that do not follow this rule pass the polygraph? And will the person administering the polygraph ask this question? It should just be fair for all and correct according to the law. I was wrong and I am not ashamed to say it. I would have passed a polygraph if I had done that and they asked if I did anything illegal. It is EXACLTY like a duck limit and that is easy for me to understand. Thanks to all who looked it up or asked for the interpretation.

In day to day fishing, this would never come up on my boat because over 20" are realeased unless mortally wounded anyways.
I think I see dead fish on a table that sure look over twenty to me.( But, I am probably wrong )
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

This entire post has opened my eyes to the going on here and i am too much of a sports fisherman to let it slide! This "good old boy" method of accepting "OBVIOUS" violations of OUR states fishing regulations is pure BS! As i stated in my posts, i hope there is a lesson learnt, because if the sports fishermen don't follow the laws, we really have a serious problem. Making excusses for a mistake is one thing, but posting comments saying the law is open to interpitations by individuals is wrong. It is every sports fishermans responsibility to follow the law.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Definitions refrenced by Katie Purcell 68B-37.002
(2) “Harvest” means the catching or taking of a fish by any means whatsoever, followed by a reduction of such fish to possession. Fish that are caught but immediately returned to the water free, alive, and unharmed are not harvested. In addition, temporary possession of a fish for the purpose of measuring it to determine compliance with the minimum or maximum size requirements of this chapter shall not constitute harvesting such fish, provided that it is measured immediately after taking, and immediately returned to the water free, alive, and unharmed if undersize or oversize.

Well Charlie...tell me how you relate this FWC definition to 3 people having 2 fish over 20" and allowed 3 over.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

The law is very clear, just try to read THE LAW without reading into it something to justify someone's mistake. This is not a new law. And for you to consider "here say" as factual comments made by law enforcement is wrong. As i said, if sports fishermen act to defy the laws of our fisheries, we are in big trouble. YOUR interpetation of the law, doesn't make it "the law". And to defend the mistake made during a tournament makes it that much worse. Admit the mistake and move on to future tournaments and communications here. The state law is a minimum, so that MUST be met before any tournament law.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

A simple "I don't know" would have been fine Charlie.
The only thing clear about the Regulation is that it is unclear when more than one person is involved.
As you said...don't try to read something into it that isn't there.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

Wow.....this thread makes me wish I was a golfer!
Team Jolly Mon
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

What part of " A person may only harvest one trout over 20 inches per day. The one oversized fish does count towards the person’s bag limit. Also, there is no recreational vessel limit for seatrout. The bag limit applies per person, and each person on board may have their one fish over 20 inches. " is open to interpretation? It does not matter how many people are on the boat, who handles the net, who puts it on ice, who baited the hook, ....etc. If you caught the fish and it is harvested, you have thereby harvested your 1 over 20" fish for the day.
I am not taking any sides here, and I also feel the "Spirit" of the law was not broken. If we are talking about the "Letter" of the law, it seems pretty darn clear to me.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

MuleTrainGA wrote:Regulations are set by the government after data has been studied thoroughly.

:o :o :o :smt005 :smt005 :smt005 Sorry, couldn't help myself. Carry on. :smt004
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!