Need boat buying advice

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Badbagger

Re: Need boat buying advice

Post by Badbagger »

A great style boat. Check these folks out: http://www.mojitoboats.com/

They make an outstanding boat.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Pangas are neat boats. My good fishin buddy has one. He did have a problem trying to find a trolling motor for that huge bow. I have a 22' pathfinder and there is nothing his boat can do that mine can't, but a couple of things mine can do that his cant. I don't think you can go wrong either way. Big bend gyrene has a panga and seems to like it, maybe he will chime in. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Thom

Post by Thom »

What limits do Pangas have that other boats don't? Just curious. Casting platform limits? Forward visibility? BTW I tried the Mojito Boats website and it is not functioning properly and the only phone number listed says its voice mailbox is full.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I wouldn't call them limitations. I guess I should have phrased it differently. And im not taking anything from pangas, they are great fishing boats. But, the things I like better about a pathfinder are more storage, more livewell space, and a better finish. My buddy never could find a trolling motor to fit( probably not that hard, but you need a huge shaft), so he poled it. Not to bad for a 22' boat. It would also drift really fast if the wind picked up. We would have to use a drift sock a lot. I noticed a little more hull slap than on mine also. In choppy seas I can trim down and punch a better hole in the waves than him. The bow would want to porpoise, ie less smooth ride. Now what I like better about the panga. Extremely effecient. Both of our boats are 22' he runs a 115 and I a 150. Similar cruising speed and top end. Huge fishing platform. And I like em cause there a little different and every Tom, dick, and Harry doesn't have one. The differences are slight, and pangas are excellent all around boats, but so are pathfinder/scouts. You can't go wrong with any of them or a sea ark or G3 etc etc. good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Check out Hayniebayboats.com out of Texas. Nice setups, They have both the v bottom and cat hulls. They do look expensive.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I have a Century 2102 bay boat. Similar to a Pathfinder. We do more offshore than inshore. Has a Yamaha 150 4 stroke. 3-4 mpg. Great all around boat. May be selling soon. Just don't have enough time.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Badbagger wrote:A great style boat. Check these folks out: http://www.mojitoboats.com/

They make an outstanding boat.
That 16' model looks like it would be an excellent flats boat. Anybody used one to know how well it drifts for fishing?
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
salty tiger
Advertising Sponsor

Post by salty tiger »

Here's a picture of my Panga, it's a Backwater 18 by Andros. It will get as skinny as you need around here and will handle more than I'm willing to put it through. It's only 18' so I don't go too far out with it. Sounds like a 22' would be good for what you're looking to do. My only complaint is a lack of space due to it being a little narrower than most boats it's length. I don't think you could go wrong with either Andros or Panga Marine if you are serious about a panga. Both are out of Sarasota and would be happy to take you out on a couple of their models.

rockyg

Post by rockyg »

salty tiger wrote:Here's a picture of my Panga, it's a Backwater 18 by Andros. It will get as skinny as you need around here and will handle more than I'm willing to put it through. It's only 18' so I don't go too far out with it. Sounds like a 22' would be good for what you're looking to do. My only complaint is a lack of space due to it being a little narrower than most boats it's length. I don't think you could go wrong with either Andros or Panga Marine if you are serious about a panga. Both are out of Sarasota and would be happy to take you out on a couple of their models.

That's a sweet rig there ST. I have never seen one of those in person. One thing that always helps is this type of thread is a price range. I remember a thread where the poster asked about push poles. He got a lot of advice about home made pvc poles until he mentioned he was buying a high end flats boat and was really debating between Kevlar and Graphite. :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Nice boat Salty-- curious, why do people white out boat numbers on pix posted online? i've seen it before but never knew why?
CairoTrout
Site Sponsor

Post by CairoTrout »

Skeeter 22' ZXBay witht Yamaha 250!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All things are possible when you turn your life to Jesus.If you don't know how just ask.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Redfin wrote:Nice boat Salty-- curious, why do people white out boat numbers on pix posted online? i've seen it before but never knew why?
If a less than honest person has the knowledge and can find that boat using the reg numbers, it can be his for the taking so to speak.
Thom

Post by Thom »

In this case, I need a boat that is affordable to buy, maintain and operate. I was hoping to get something for less than $15,000. These Pangas are more than I thought they would be. Anyone make a less expensive model?
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Thom wrote:In this case, I need a boat that is affordable to buy, maintain and operate. I was hoping to get something for less than $15,000. These Pangas are more than I thought they would be. Anyone make a less expensive model?
Sounds like you're looking for a pre-owned bay boat. The truth is that you don't find a boat, a boat finds you. Keep your ears open for opportunity to knock. 8-)

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

You could get.ate model Carolina Skiff for around your budget. I've never owned one but they appear to be built solid. I would personally recommend that you mind something that has a Yamaha on the back.
Team Jolly Mon