Apalachee bay fishing advice

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mako-17-fishin

Apalachee bay fishing advice

Post by mako-17-fishin »

I put my boat in at the lighthouse at the mouth our the St. Marks river almost every weekend. I catch allot of trout out on the flats on most days, but i havent been able to find the redfish. Can anyone give me some advice on catching reds in this area? it would be greatly appreciated.
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Re: Apalachee bay fishing advice

Post by guthooked »

For reds you need to be concentrating around the oyster bars around the mouth of the river. I wish I could tell you how to do this but I haven't quite figured it out myself. I have lucked up on a few out on the flats but they are always closer to the shoreline.
mako-17-fishin

Post by mako-17-fishin »

I appreciate your response- can seem to get too much feedback. I was assuming the reds stay closer to the shoreline. Do you know of ay maps that will show oyster bars?
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

As for the lighthouse area, if you come out of the lighthouse canal and turn to the east about a mile or so and start working the shorline chunking topwater and gold spoons around rocks, oysterbars and creekmouths you should catch all the reds you want. Be careful navagating this area as there are a lot of rocks here. :thumbup: :thumbup: Also remember this area works better on medium to high tides as it can get very skinny during low tides.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

One Keeper is correct. For reds, STRUCTURE is key. There is plenty of it to be found out there around the Lighthouse, just have to do some exploring. Also, as he said, be careful when exploring.
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Bait is the key - not structure...no bait...no fish salute1
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Bait...Bait... Bait...Follow the bait you'll find the fish....
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Look for actively feeding mullet. The reds will be mixed in with them. No bait = move on. Activity is the key.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Reds seem to hang around structure where mullet are active. Also keep an eye out for areas that have crabs. Reds love silver dollar size crabs.
mako-17-fishin

Post by mako-17-fishin »

Thanks again for all the replies. Went out today and caught 50+ trout with about 10 keepers.