May 16-Topwater til Sunset

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

LucWilliams

May 16-Topwater til Sunset

Post by LucWilliams »

Got out with my Dad again today as soon as we both got off work. Headed to spot number one and my Dad gets a red on topwater on the first cast. It is a good fish but heading right for the anchor line that I dropped as soon as he hooked up. Fish wraps itself around the anchor three times and we struggle to deal with it, wish I had that power pole! After finally getting it unwrapped all three times, the fish makes a hard run and breaks off, with his topwater. He was not too happy as he lost a good fish and a topwater last weekend as well. Fish looked to be upper slot or oversized. We keep fishing and I land a 21 inch trout on topwater that I release to breed some more. Move to another spot and I get a 16 inch trout on gulp. Keep fishing and my Dad rebounds with a fat 20 inch trout on soft plastic. We weren't getting too many strikes at this point and were still feeling a little down with how the day started. My Dad makes the call to go to another spot and we head there. Pull up to it and see a big red right away but he takes off. We settle into the spot and I see a big red right behind my topwater right before he crushes it and I'm hooked up. Land the fish and it is 31.5 inches, take some pictures and send the fish on its way. A few more strikes in this spot but no more hookups and we are losing daylight fast so we start running to the hill. My Dad suggest we hit one last spot close to the ramp as we approach it because we have some daylight left. We work it pretty good and don't even have a strike. My Dad says last cast. About the time I'm snapping a sunset picture, I hear an explosion and my Dad says Woah! He's hooked up and it is a big fish. Pretty epic fight ensues, with my Dad thinking he is going to lose the fish any second. His confidence was a little low after losing some quality fish the past two trips. He works the fish in perfectly and I get the net on it. Big red that measures 31 inches and just over 10 pounds. Release the fish and we head for the hill.

My Dad hooks up on the first and last cast of the day, we bring home two trout, release two oversized reds and one quality trout. Not bad for a couple of hours on the water after work. Tight lines, I probably will not fish again until Sunday.

slowroller
Site Sponsor

Re: May 16-Topwater til Sunset

Post by slowroller »

Good fish!! Leave from the lighthouse?
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good catchin for that short bit of time :thumbup:
(There's a problem with my pc. all your pictures are cut in half...) :wink:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
CoastalPirate
Site Sponsor

Post by CoastalPirate »

Awesome! Where did you guys launch from?
The hunt for the notorious green whale never ends.
Instagram: mikemincy
Youtube: MrCoastalPirate
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

That's a great way to end the day.
The Back Porch
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Dad's still keyed up from that "last cast", finally forgot about the first one.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Love it! Congrats on finally getting the Red John. You have a great guide! :thumbup:
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Seen some guys fishing in front of Johnny River's house last night ....was that yall??
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Thanks Capt. Wish you could have seen the Chinese fire drill on the first one, as we tried to unwrap it from the anchor. 3 rod passes under the rope and then it was free. Then the line broke and it was really free. Should have pulled the anchor up and netted it that way. Dad was not happy.
LucWilliams

Post by LucWilliams »

Did not launch at Lighthouse yesterday, I did on Wednesday afternoon with very similar results. Yesterday we put in bottoms road area, don't remember seeing any houses or Johnny Rivers. We saw some rivers of mullet though.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Nice work gentlemen
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Nice job Luc....the Williams boys can catch some fish!

Bailey :beer: