Targeting Flounder

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dockwilson
Site Sponsor

Targeting Flounder

Post by Dockwilson »

Does anyone have advice on targeting flounder? I catch one now and then, but not regularly. Any tips?
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: Targeting Flounder

Post by culrich »

Dockwilson wrote:Does anyone have advice on targeting flounder? I catch one now and then, but not regularly. Any tips?
You want moving water, I like an incoming. Find some kind of structure, a bend in a creek, pilings, rocks, oyster bar, something. Use a 1oz egg weigh, a swivel, 12" piece of Florocarbon with a #3 Khale hook attached to a mud minnow. :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
janderson

Post by janderson »

Like said above, I've always done well around structure and moving water. If you can find those two things you're on the right track. They seem to love dock pilings and scattered shells on bottom where I usually fish for them. I've also targeted them in St. Joe bay and there I've had good luck targeting the deeper sand potholes scattered around the grass flats. Drag a bull minnow or finger mullet through those potholes and hang on! If you don't have livies, try strips of mullet belly, they love 'em. If using artificials, I have good luck with anything scented but it seems they can be picky about color from day to day.
Reel Addiction
Site Sponsor

Post by Reel Addiction »

The serious flounder fishermen around hear stick'um at night.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

I always catch them using a 1/2 oz chartreuse jig head with a Gulp Shrimp (New Penny color). Cast out a few yards parallel to a structure (oyster bar, pillings, rocks, etc.) and while retrieving just bounce it along. If fishing sandy bottom with holes, bounce it on the perimeter and let it sit for a few seconds, it'll get slammed every time by SOMETHING.
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Reel Addiction wrote:The serious flounder fishermen around hear stick'um at night.
RA is right use a gig and a submersible light. It is a night time sport. :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.