Losing more recreation to the government

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Losing more recreation to the government

Post by Dubble Trubble »

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Missions/ ... areas.aspx

Notice the graphic included (Click on it at upper right)

Folks, I do not how many of you know where Shell Island and St Andrews sound is, but this is a frightening forewarning of a complete takeover of those areas by the military in the name of "security".

I would especially be interested to hear Chalk's perspective on this.

The areas are going to be "enhanced security zones", and the plan is only during heightened times of danger at the current time, but we all know how when you give the government an inch, they take 20 miles......of our beautiful, pristine coastline....

I have spent many, many wonderful days around the shell island area boating, and on the beaches. Looks like future generations will not have that pleasure.

I would also note that the state park system has been wanting to get rid of boaters at shell island for some time now. I am sure the reasons are financial gain for someone and will be seen in the future who it is. Looks like they found a way to do it now...

For those of you that do not believe they do things like this, just look at what happened to a gorgeous stretch of Highway 98 just west of Port St. Joe!

Dubble :thumbup: :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Losing more recreation to the government

Post by dombern34 »

was just there two weekends ago, can't believe they'll doing that.
Attachments
download.jpg
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

This is a training base anymore. Why is this needed. I guess the plastic navy has threatened invasion of Pelican Point GC.
bman

Post by bman »

The areas are going to be "enhanced security zones", and the plan is only during heightened times of danger at the current time, but we all know how when you give the government an inch, they take 20 miles......of our beautiful, pristine coastline....
Looking at the graphic its only when they have a security need... which sounds reasonable but its a ton of real estate!
CIS, Shell Point AND part of Little St George!
I'm curious about the places they are shutting down now-

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Portals/4 ... 0-JMG.pdf
How much fishing opportunists are they taking away there?
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

bman wrote:
Looking at the graphic its only when they have a security need... which sounds reasonable but its a ton of real estate!
CIS, Shell Point ( < Island?) AND part of Little St George!
I'm curious about the places they are shutting down now-

http://www.saj.usace.army.mil/Portals/4 ... 10-JMG.pdf

How much fishing opportunists are they taking away there?
That is why I want Chalk to pipe in. He fishes that area a lot....

Also, I could see a reason for the land on the Tyndal side across the water from shell island to be restricted in a special circumstance, but why shell island itself? There is no reason for that!

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Action Craft Gator

Post by Action Craft Gator »

I fish these areas quite a bit. The real impact for recreational folks is going to be during times when base security is elevated. That will effectually put a 500 ft boundary waterward from the hill around nearly the entire base from well up in East Bay, through St. Andrews Bay and on around through CIS. That represents a lot of prime fishing opportunity that would potentially be restricted during heightened base security.

The permanent restricted zone closures aren't going to be that big a deal in the Bay County area. And if you've spent much time in these particular areas you'd understand the reasoning. I've had my skiff all the way up Little Cedar to the flight line. It was without a doubt the best seat for the last air show, but I was really surprised we weren't run off.

Some folks fish the fuel depot area (Fred Bayou). But again - you're basically inside a pretty sensitive area on the base without the clearance or credentials you'd have to use to get there by land.

It's frustrating to lose any recreational access but it's understandable that access around some of these areas would be tightened up. It's getting harder for these installations to balance public access with risk mitigation in this day and age.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Seems pretty reasonable to me. I prefer not to be around when military testing is underway.
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

I would rather they used heightened security on the Texas to California border.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
bman

Post by bman »

A facebook group against it has popped up...
https://www.facebook.com/events/135368399994027/?ref=3
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Action Craft Gator

Post by Action Craft Gator »

Jumptrout51 wrote:I would rather they used heightened security on the Texas to California border.
You got that right!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I know two guys who were grouper fishing, knowing these guys, probably inside the bounderies a few years back. All of a sudden there came this explosion, close enough, and powerful enough to blow their hats off!!! Last time they fished "even close" to the bounderies!!! :-D
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

charlie tuna wrote:I know two guys who were grouper fishing, knowing these guys, probably inside the bounderies a few years back. All of a sudden there came this explosion, close enough, and powerful enough to blow their hats off!!! Last time they fished "even close" to the bounderies!!! :-D
Did you leave after the explosion?
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Today at 5pm, reporter Michael J. Brown of WMBB-TV reported that due to the furor on Social Media, Tyndall is: 1) withdrawing their proposal to restrict waters in St. Andrew Bay, 2) removing the "permanent" designation of 4 areas, and 3) redefining their definition of temporary restrictions to be more definite. We applaud all of our Facebook friends who helped get their voices heard. Now, on to Round 2. New regulations will be submitted, which is a disappointment. Please stay tuned. We must be a part of this process and our first question should be why more regulations to begin with?

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Friends- ... ion=stream

http://www.wmbb.com/story/22490149/tynd ... stallation

Dubble :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

Well if you look at any govt map of the said areas they already say restricted. You can't fish Crooked Island Sound when they are launching drones....there are areas outshone of PC that are off limits at times unless you want to become a target.

That said I saw the Facebook talk...other than that is all I have seen....saw some web page showing the same restricted areas that have been on maps for years. So, if there is an official site with writing stating such it is same stuff as usual. You can get asked to leave any of those areas now. They broadcast on channel 16 @ 1600 CST stating if drone launch is scheduled for CIS. If it is you will be told not asked to leave if you decide to go anyway....they don't launch on the weekend much.

Well I finally saw some writing....but I think it is just a renewal of a document that already exists....the areas are already in a restricted area in a time of need. No different Than interstates.....in a time of war public use is removed and the roads are for govt use only.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Thanks for the update. Why no more posts? :roll: I bet I know why. :-D