SWAPPING SOME INFO

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

SWAPPING SOME INFO

Post by Ifishtoo »

LIVED IN THE STEINHATCHEE REGION FOR 10-15 YRS.

NOW LIVE NORTH OF PORT ST JOE - APALACHICOLA. WOULD LIKE TO SHARE SOME INFO ABOUT NEAR SHORE AND OFFSHORE AREAS? PLENTY OF GOOD NUMBERS OVER THERE (STEINHATCHEE) FOR RED, GAG GRP. NATURAL BOTTOM, WHEN, WHERE, AND WHAT. 30-60 FT NOT PUBLISHED, JUST CAME FROM LOTS OF LOOKING. LOOKING IS HOW YOU ALWAYS FIND FISH.

I'M BOATLESS. HAVE A FRIEND FROM MACON WHO WANTS TO BRING HIS 21' RIG DOWN AND TRY 10-25 MILES SOUTH OF INDIAN PASS.
Ifishtoo

Re: SWAPPING SOME INFO

Post by Ifishtoo »

Posted this a week ago, 155 views and zero comments? Indian Pass is the closest place to our recent retirement home.

Guess it's a mystery out there? Got a friend in Macon who is coming down with his boat. I was hoping on showing him some decent fishin out of Indian Pass, rather than just boat riding. Those Steinhatchee numbers came from about 2500 gals of gas from 1990 - 2005. I'll be back there, droppin a line in June.

I've been boatless since 2005. I would gladly pay $50-100 towards the expenses of any bay or off shore fishing: from Mexico Bch to Apalachicola. Retired and have fished Florida waters all my life. Just new to the eastern panhandle.
roadtrip
Site Sponsor

Post by roadtrip »

I would love to help but know nothing about that area. I fish Panacea and a little in Carrabelle. I would suggest hiring a guide and talk to him as you fish. Most guides are willing to share info.
slayer

Post by slayer »

check out the MBARA site.....Mexico Beach Artificial Reef Association....

lots of good info on there, I think they even have some reefs listed closer to indian pass....hope this helps
2006 Nautic Star 2200 bay
2015 Suzuki DF225
Garmin 93SV
Uniden Oceanus VHF
Minn Kota Riptide ST 80 I-Pilot

One half of Team Redneck !!!!!

Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Have you looked at the MBARA site? Mexico Beach has placed a BUNCH of artificial reefs over the years.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

You can say that again! Looks like we were posting the same thing at about the same time. Seriously most folks start out hitting the artificial reefs. Watch your bottom machine as you go from one to the next and mark anything you see. Drift or troll the areas around the reefs and mark what you see or when you get bit.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Have you fished natural bottom offshore of Indian Pass 50,60,70 feet? Just don't want to waste time, if there is no natural bottom. Not asking for any of your numbers. Also, I suspect that there is some natural bottom around 100-114' south of Indian Pass, with 3 miles that WW II wreck, Empire Mica.

Thanks for all replies and "any" little bit of guidance. We're not just looking for RS, just some areas that hold some fish. I'm hoping to avoid all the artificial reefs.Too much pressure for me, plus anyone can find them! Guess, I enjoy the hunting, as much as the catch. Just don't want to hunt in a desert. My buddy has a decent recorder and it WORKS AT 100% EFFICIENCY at 5,8, 12,20,30knts. That makes for efficient looking/hunting.
dogonenuts

Post by dogonenuts »

Ifishtoo,

I fish out of Indian Pass. You can Cath snapper off of the wreck you are talking about. There is definitely more live bottom more toward the west. There is a protected area, "Madison Swanson" that is off limits but you can find some live bottom, ridges and what not north of there from about 200 up to 100 ft. There is an artificial reef from an old Airforce radio tower just off Cape San Blas that will hold some fish. Of ourselves the public numbers get hit hard, but should still be good for a bit as the weather has not been good for lots of fishing so far this June. Would offer to take you but my boat is full the next three weekends.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks, but I'm old school. Would rather find some natural/non published fishing holes. Published stuff gets pounded by anyone and everyone and IMHO is often not as good as finding your own "Rocks". Those numbers off Steinhatchee came from nine years of "looking". They are: not published, labeled what time of year for gag or red grouper, labeled "sm rock", long ledge, 2-3 ft ridge, etc. Come July, I'll fish a few of them with an old friend. Too many rocks, too many regs, and so little time!

Can anyone verify the correct number for the Empire Mica?

Are there any natural rock ledges around the outer drops of Cape San Blas?
I know from experience, there is some HARD ROCK BOTTOM around Cape Canaveral on Florida's east coast. Much of the drops are shoaled over with sand, but some areas are 2-3 Ft rock ledges/ridges and some areas have 5-8 Ft rock ledges. Send a private message
Pirate

Post by Pirate »

There is good natural bottom in all the area mentioned but better plan on doing some riding. There is not much too close to the beach. Don't get discouraged with lack of info. As you stated fisherman look years for these places and most would rather give up their wife than good numbers. Look and you can find them. Good fishing!
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
bayrunner22

Post by bayrunner22 »

I have a friend who guides. Out of Apalachicola he has told me some places out of west pass his name is Richard Scarabin give him a call tell him Kyle gave ya his number he might can help also he will go out on your boat with yall awsome guide to fish with hope this helps ya 850 653 6634
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Pirate, thanks for the confirmation.

Bayrunner22, also thanks for hooking us up with a fella who will bring some local knowledge on board. Now, if my friend in Macon can get his boat out the "Ethanol" repair shop!

All of this makes me feel a little better about the out come. We aren't hard to please and we catch on fast. A couple of old farts that still have some fishin sense.