The Cobia Connection

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

The Cobia Connection

Post by big bend gyrene »

As the old saying goes, it REALLY is a small world sometimes.

So about two weeks ago, I posted a job opening for our office and got a slew of applications. One of the first things I (and almost all other hiring managers) do nowadays is paste applicant email addresses into criminal databases, google, and social media sites to see what pops up. Well, in the case of one applicant a picture of a doormat size flounder popped up! Almost instantly I thought, "I've seen that flounder before!", so do a bit of digging and confirm it's site member Ontiltttttt applying for our open job!
Slab Flounder.jpg
Without sharing my real-world identity, I write him using my "Big Bend Gyrene" moniker and joke with him that he doesn't realize it but he's been emailing me and I'll likely meet him in short order... few hours later I'm writing him all formal-like using my real world name and inviting him to interview with our office. Late that night, I get an email from him excitedly proclaiming he's finally figured out I'm "Big Bend Gyrene!" :lol: :-D Long story short, he interviews and the entire staff picks him for the job. They made a good pick because he's licensed, has solid work experience, and almost certainly has a MD education in his future, but I'm secretly celebrating because I know from our conversation during his interview visit that I'm gaining another valued fishing bud. :smt045 :lol: :thumbup: :beer:

So after his first day of work, I ask him if he might want to chase cobia the next day. Verifying we've picked the right candidate, he locks in the invite within about a second of my sending it.

After launching with the sunrise, we ran out to 8' of water and I started filling up the live well while Ontiltttttt fished a new penny gulp jig. Neither of us had a slow bite. Bait was easy to find, and Ontiltttttt caught trout, ladyfish, and seabass.

After loading up with bait, I ran out to a spot in 18' with very rocky bottom and within seconds of dropping our anchor we're spotting eagle rays and cobia are tackling our initial drops. :thumbup: :beer: We're a bit slow to reach our initial bite and lose it, but didn't have time to cry about it because almost instantly another rod off the back gets hit. End result a 31' short but solid fighter that we tag and release.
Joe's tagged cobia.jpg
Things really slowed down after the initial bite, with just enough time between a few monster bites that we were too slow to the reels. Growing worried we might not get any more bites, I decided to chum some dead baits and it sure seemed to work as within minutes we had on the bite we wanted! A BIG keeper cobe that gave Ontiltttttt exactly the fight he wanted (and maybe even a bit more)... the fight took almost exactly 35 minutes, and involved multiple additional cobia sightings during the fight as well as a brief double hook-up, with the second bite lost to a prop cutoff because Ontiltttttt and I were both upfront when the drag on the second rod sounded the alarm.

Got the beast up to the boat and had nightmarish visions of Bman's lost monster cobe which gave my net the slip after Bman tried wrestling it at the same time I landed it. Debate trying to use my boga, but the beast keeps going crazy at the boat, and actually try gaffing it a few times but each time I prepare to stick it the darn thing seems to have ESP and dives... decide I'll prove to Bman the net is beast capable and on my second attempt with the net, capture the cobe as well as possible with it diving down the center of the net. Go to pick it up and find it is so big that the front 51% is in the net but the back 49% of the cobe is thrashing wildly from the back of the net. Determined not to lose it, I go into Jedi mode and will it to stay in using "THE FORCE." Heave it over the side of the boat and it lands right in the middle of the live well. End result, in Ontiltttttt's first trip out for cobia he ties Ranaman's Celeste for the 2nd place boat record with a 35 pounder.
Joe's BIG cobia.jpg
BIG Un.jpg
We ended the day with one more keeper cobia and a new first... my first "double hooked" cobia! Turns out the cobia took one of our back baits and sneakily reached the second before sounding the alarm.
Double Hooked.jpg
2nd Keeper.jpg
For anybody on the board who hasn't landed a big keeper cobia wondering how fun they are to catch, here's a highlight reel of Ontiltttttt's two fights. Think it's fairly obvious Ontiltttttt had a good time... sure there are millions of folks who've had far less enjoyable day #2 orientations! :-D :thumbup: :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0NkPxqME7k[/video]
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
ontiltttttt

Re: The Cobia Connection

Post by ontiltttttt »

I've got a pretty sweet job :beer:
Last edited by ontiltttttt on June 29th, 2013, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

:thumbup:
Last edited by tallykenj on June 18th, 2013, 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Back Porch
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Where do I get an application, I like the recreational benefits of that job! :-D
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Wow :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
eatsleepfish

Post by eatsleepfish »

Awesome report!!! :beer: :beer:
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Sueeet!

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
big bend gyrene

MudDucker wrote:Where do I get an application, I like the recreational benefits of that job! :-D
MudDucker, won't take Ontiltttttt long to figure it out the fishing isn't even the best benefit of the job! I'm the weakest link in an otherwise fairly strong operation... just my .02, but being surrounded by a very fun female staff ranks right up there with the fishing trips! :smt045
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Awesome! Definitely want to catch a cobia one of these days. :thumbup:
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

big bend gyrene wrote:
MudDucker wrote:Where do I get an application, I like the recreational benefits of that job! :-D
MudDucker, won't take Ontiltttttt long to figure it out the fishing isn't even the best benefit of the job! I'm the weakest link in an otherwise fairly strong operation... just my .02, but being surrounded by a very fun female staff ranks right up there with the fishing trips! :smt045
My HR Professional Danger Alert System is ringing.

Post by Salty Gator »

Outstanding report as usual BBG. What day did y'all fish? I took my FIL on sat for Father's Day. We were greeted with 20 knot winds and 4-5' seas. We didn't make it offshore. Congrats again!
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
big bend gyrene

Salty Gator wrote:Outstanding report as usual BBG. What day did y'all fish? I took my FIL on sat for Father's Day. We were greeted with 20 knot winds and 4-5' seas. We didn't make it offshore. Congrats again!
Fished this past Wednesday, Salty Gator. Wife (the doc) doesn't see patients on Wednesday so that affords middle of the weeks trips. Absolutely love the Wednesday trips as they almost always afford visiting multiple spots during the day without fighting ANY other boats for the aquatic real estate! :-)
big bend gyrene

WolfeMan wrote:My HR Professional Danger Alert System is ringing.
Dude, your radar seems to be stuck in constant alert mode.

You know, it's a lot more fun to take people out on the water who like to have fun than "alarmists" alarmed by EVERYTHING. Just sayin'! :smt064

Just curious, what's this one do for your HR radar, Toby Flenderson? :smt098

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

big bend gyrene wrote:
Oh well, I better reconsider then. My wife has watched too much swamp people and she keeps muttering things like chote'em Liz whenever she is not pleased with me. If I were to enjoy a fun female staff, she might start practice firing. :smt005 :smt005
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Vigilance doesn't take a vacation.

Toby didn't carry a gun and mine has 16 bullets. ;)

Just lookin' out for ya, believe it or not.
big bend gyrene wrote:
WolfeMan wrote:My HR Professional Danger Alert System is ringing.
Dude, your radar seems to be stuck in constant alert mode.

You know, it's a lot more fun to take people out on the water who like to have fun than "alarmists" alarmed by EVERYTHING. Just sayin'! :smt064

Just curious, what's this one do for your HR radar, Toby Flenderson? :smt098