Finally leveled my Silverado

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

jslorenz3

Finally leveled my Silverado

Post by jslorenz3 »

Okay, so I know there's not a lot of vehicle posts on here, but I finally installed a Rough Country 2" leveling kit on my Silverado. I wanted to put up some before and after pictures because I had trouble finding pictures of before and after that I liked before I did it. The kit is about $65 and was pretty easy to install. Best mod I have done to my truck so far. So, here are the pictures.

Before:

During:

After:

Comparison next to a stock:

If anyone has been considering doing this, go for it. I highly recommend it, I should have done this a long time ago!
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
manley
Site Sponsor

Re: Finally leveled my Silverado

Post by manley »

Don't forget to have it aligned, too!
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

COULD NOT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE, LOOKED THE SAME, WHAT DID YOU DO.
FUTCHCAIRO
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Other than visual, what's the benefit? Slightly higher ground clearance for the front bumper/body?

Would a heavy trailer now make you ride "nose up" instead of level? I always thought that was the purpose of the slightly nose-down stance of most trucks. To make towing easier.
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

WolfeMan wrote:Other than visual, what's the benefit?
Chicks dig it. All other considerations are secondary. :cool:

Fishin' is the mission.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Harmsway wrote:
WolfeMan wrote:Other than visual, what's the benefit?
Chicks dig it. All other considerations are secondary. :cool:
My College age kid thinks the same way......and did the same to his ole beater F-150. :smt017
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

So the reason that they come stock lower on the front end is for when you tow large trailers or have heavy loads in your bed, it will "level" the truck for you. In my case, none of the trailers that I will be towing will make me ride too high in the front.

It does give you more ground clearance. As an example, when I used to pull up to a parking curb, the front end would be almost touching the top of the curb. I don't think a truck should barely be able to clear a parking curb, that just doesn't sound right.

I did it mainly for a little more clearance and so that the truck would just look like it sat up a little higher. Very happy with it.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

FUTCHCAIRO wrote:COULD NOT SEE ANY DIFFERENCE, LOOKED THE SAME, WHAT DID YOU DO.

It is hard to tell a difference in the pictures. The kit is basically just two spacers that you bolt on in between the front strut and the lower control arm. This is different than some other kits where you put something on the coil. The spacers are about 1" thick, but bring the front up 2 inches.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

Leveling kits were designed to clear a slightly larger tire if you ever wanted go a few sizes up, other than that its just for looks. A nose down 4x4 doesn't look as good as a leveled one. but in no means am I'm knocking leveling kits down because i have one on my truck ha
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

dombern34 wrote:Leveling kits were designed to clear a slightly larger tire if you ever wanted go a few sizes up, other than that its just for looks. A nose down 4x4 doesn't look as good as a leveled one. but in no means am I'm knocking leveling kits down because i have one on my truck ha

I eventually want to get bigger tires, but can't afford it at the moment. Looks a lot better leveled.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

JUST DID NOT KNOW THE REASON FOR THIS LEVELING DEVICE, I COULD USE ONE ON MY OLD PICK-UP, I ALWAYS RUB THOSE PARKING LOT BLOCKS. THANKS FOR THE EXPLANATION, I UNDERSTAND NOW.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

By doing a 2 inch level kit and removing that dorky air dam, I gained 7 inches of clearance on my Sierra. Here are the comparisons....

Quite a difference...

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
jslorenz3

Post by jslorenz3 »

How hard was it to get that air thing off? I've been thinking about that. It seems pointless.
Scalp 'em Noles!
FSU Class of 2016
Civil Engineering Major
manley
Site Sponsor

Post by manley »

It's not hard, I think there are 2 screws and some tabs. I actually put mine back on.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371812928.086783.jpg

Sent via my Jedi mind trick