School me on tunnel hulls...

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

charlie tuna

Re: School me on tunnel hulls...

Post by charlie tuna »

I know of an older guy, in his eighties, that used to "play" with tunnel hulls about thirty years ago. He built the hulls out of balsa wood and fiberglassed over it. He retired and bought a big piece of property in the panhandle about ten years ago. Last i heard, he designed a tunnel hull that had a vent pipe located about one third of the way back from the beginning of the tunnel. He said it caused the hull to run in even shallower water and at a higher speed, and more efficient?? Buut i haven't seen anything like that on the market. Got a kick out this guy, becasue he was into SPEED !! His boats were always overpowered and would fly!
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

I've read some on the vented tunnel hulls.. not a lot but a little and pretty much what I've read as well.
SLICK

Post by SLICK »

Have had 16ft Alumacarft Tunnel 50hp Merc,no sponans,no jack plate,top speed 29 mph,floats in 6-8" on plane in 12" no tunnel is built for speed.I now Have 19ft Blue Wave Super Tunnel 125 Merc w/jack plate,top speed 31mph,really does float in 8-10" if the boat can float I can put it on plane, jack plate a must,with that said you better know where you are fishing because I still will idle out to get clear of rocks in some places.Tunnels MUST HAVE the correct prop to handle good in turns and not blow out and get on plane quickly.Don't just let some guy sell you a 4 blade prop and say that's all you need on a tunnel.I had a 4 blade and the boat drove like crap it would not turn good at all.I called Powertech Propellers and the guy took my boat info,motor info,current prop,max rpm and speed.Called me back within a hour told me what prop to buy.To my surprise it was a 3 blade with what they call a extreme cup I was not real sure I had always heard that you need a 4 blade on a tunnel he said that was old school thinking.I bought it and the boat now drives GREAT I can turn as sharp as I can right and left never blows out can jack the plate all the way up and nail it never blows out its great.MUST HAVE PSI GAUGE.I Love the Blue Wave now lots more room same water and now I don't get wet smooth ride.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Couldn't resist sharing this old-school tunnel-hull . . .
Tunnel Hull.jpg
Tunnel Hull.jpg (20.21 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

That is the way to go, Charlie!

Talking about a wild ride....try it!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

No sunscreen needed -- and trips lasting 65 days!!