What a great fishing day!

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Re: What a great fishing day!

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

We soooo wanted to land that Cobia. Haven't caught a keeper yet! We were so disappointed that it cut the line on the pontoon. Darn fish just wouldn't cooperate, but that's how they are. There's always the next time, right. That's what fishing is all about. We did get a keeper Hogfish, which I understand is hard to catch and an excellent fish. It was an awesome day. I hope we can get back out deep soon. Weather needs to cooperate for a change. Sunday is looking the best so far.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

tallykenjsbetterhalf wrote:Yep! We are very mindful of the weather and cautious. We only go that far out on calm days and watch the weather carefully. The first inkling of seas picking up we head back. Believe it or not, that boat with three 27" toons, solid steel sidewalls, 80 gallon fuel tank, 250 Merc Verado, etc., weighs in at 6,500 lbs. It has been sea tested from Ft. Lauderdale to Bimini, Key West to the Dry Tortugas and elsewhere. Despite the fact that it apparently can handle some pretty rough weather, we don't venture out like that unless the weather looks great! No taking chances here!
Yeah I'd have no problem taking that boat offshore.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

I misspoke. She has solid aluminum sidewalls. Had to check the website to be sure because they are so solid. She also has a rough water and ski package with complete aluminum under skin. Nevertheless, she weighs a lot for a pontoon boat. We've had many folks out on her who own "conventional" boats and they can't believe how well she handles huge wakes and choppy weather. They tell us it's a much smoother ride than their v-hull type boats. No beating you up in choppy weather. Still not going out in big seas no matter what she can handle. Not worth the risk and no fun anyway. We had a Sun Tracker 24' double toon before and it felt very unstable in less than calm conditions. Not trashing Sun Tracker, but this 27' boat simply doesn't compare in stability or in any other way. Of course, we paid more to upgrade, but we get a lot of use out of her. We're out every weekend and any other chance we can! We call her "The Back Porch," a name that our friend gave her one day. Quite fitting, I think. If we win the lottery, we'll be selling her and after this macdaddy boat! http://www.floeintl.com/floe-craft/video-gallery/