Aqua dream spoon failure.. Problem solved

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Aqua dream spoon failure.. Problem solved

Post by Salty Gator »

I've heard a few whispers about adl spoons breaking hooks. I've had 2 break, but never on a fish. I was planning on returning them, and hopefully get 2 more. They seem to break where the hook meets the eye. Last weekend a buddy had a good red on that he hung on a brand new pink adl. As he was fighting her his line went slack. "Fish must have spit the hook" he said. When he looked at his spoon, no hook. Frustrating!! Has anyone else had this problem? I hate to say it, but I may be going back to Johnson spoons.
Last edited by Salty Gator on November 1st, 2013, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
ced0412

Re: Aqua dream spoon failure

Post by ced0412 »

Just had the screw back out on mine once in awhile.
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Had one break with a nice red on the end of it. Broke up near the eye where the screw goes. You can get just the hooks from them but by the time you pay shipping, you can buy a new spoon.
jcoop

Post by jcoop »

Had my most recent one fail on the cast. Cast the spoon, see two splashes, reel it back to find the spoon with out a hook. It broke right below the screw. Haven't had any problems with the newer ones. Heard they got a defective batch of hooks last year (when I bought it) from Eagle claw.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2
mraquatics

Post by mraquatics »

I too have had several failures right below the eye right when it would have counted.
Michael K
"What does a fish know about the water in which it swims its whole life?"
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Post by Jumptrout51 »

Captain Mile at ADL just did a press release on changing hook suppliers.
This may solve any existing problems.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Jumptrout51 wrote:Captain Mile at ADL just did a press release on changing hook suppliers.
This may solve any existing problems.
It may solve future problems, but I'm not sure about existing problems. I guess I can see if they will exchange my 2 broken ones and the 8-10 that aren't broken(yet).
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

i've had my screw come out on me once or twice. fising Delacroix last year, had a red strip the screw and bend my hook.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I have two new adl spoons I have never used, and will probably go ahead and replace the hooks. I have used Gamakatsu trailer hooks on my Clark spoons with great success. I have seen these new hooks from Trokar, if I can find these soon I might try them.
http://lazertrokar.com/trokar-news/icas ... wash-hooks
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I've lost 3 good fish to broken gamakatsu hooks. I will never buy them again.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

This sounds like the same problem Nimire spoons had about ten years ago? Their hook manufacturer was heating the hooks to get that sharp bend at the tip to lock onto the spoon. This heat treatment was causing the hooks to just break with little or no force applied to them. The first problem i had was from a brand new spoon, right out of the package, and on the second cast - caught a few strands of weed. As i pulled the weeds off, the hook came loose from the spoon??? A closer look found that the hook had broken in half just before the bend that attached it to the spoon!! I then opened the other Nimire spoon i had purchased, and with very little force, it's hook broke in the same place. I brought them both back to Bass Pro and got my money back with no problems. When i mentioned it to other fishermen on an open forum, the manufacturer chimed in and was threatening to sue me?? The problem was not handled correctly. As it turned out, the manufacturer knew they had a problem, but refused to pubicize it, by some kind of recall -- like, "bring your old lures back and trade them in for the new improved model with properly heat treated hooks". The thought of some fisherperson hooking a prize fish and loosing it due to a manufacturer's screw up is poor business practice!!
Terrier

Post by Terrier »

Had two hooks break - just crumbled to the touch at the eye. Replaced the hooks with Gamakatsu trailer hooks. I may apply loctite to the screws.
ADLCapt.Mike

Post by ADLCapt.Mike »

This has been a real nightmare for me guys. After years of using the same Mustad hooks now we're having this problem. I don't know if it's just one box but I'm not taking the chance. I've changed hook manufacturers. I'm expecting the new hooks 7/22/13 they are from VMC. My prostaff and myself have been testing them and have encountered no problems, plus they're sharper! PLEASE if you had a broken hook or just want to replace your hooks let me know! I will send you hooks at no charge. We make our spoons so the hook is replacable, it's more expensive for us but I think it's worth it. I will also send new weedguards and screws if you need them. Remember, I use these spoons too. Do you think I want my hook to break? You may message me on facebook or email me at mhakala@cfl.rr.com. Remember to enclose your address. Please pass the word, I stand behind my products 100%. Thanks for allowing me on your forum.
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

:thumbup: :thumbup: :smt004
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

And there you have it. Capt. Mike Hakala stands behind his products and will make them right. You won't find that kind of customer service from Chinese knock-offs.

I've known Mike since he started in the lure business and he is one of the nicest, most generous guys you'll ever meet. He's always supported conservation efforts and clubs/tournaments/forums such as this one. He's also an excellent angler who personally tests and develops his products, which are are some of the best on the market. His ADL/CM 3/8-ounce weedless spoons are without a doubt my go-to redfish lure.

If you collect Florida Sportsman back issues, look up October 1999. Mike was the model for my cover shot with a 27-pound bull red. I'm proud to call him my friend.

Capt. Dave Lear
Last edited by silverking on July 19th, 2013, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.