A Day Admiring The Master Painter's Work

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

big bend gyrene

A Day Admiring The Master Painter's Work

Post by big bend gyrene »

Had cousin-in-laws down from Souths Cackalacky (aka South Carolina) this past week and for three days we watched the radar bloom like azaleas in spring.

Saturday, I woke up to check the radar at 5:00am.. and... big bend waters covered in yellow and red, but with predictions of clearing by 10:00am! :)

10:00am, still covered in yellow and red but with predictions of clearing by 11:00am! :smt012

11:00am, still covered in yellow and red but with predictions of clearing by noon! :smt011

Stepped out in the rain to see if I could hear any lightning and since I didn't, said to heck with it and hooked up the boat. :lol:

Rained on us all the way to the coast, but driving into the Ecky parking lot the rain STOPS!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :beer: :beer: :beer:

Get out on the bay and it's glass flat and as pretty as I've ever seen it.

Went out to both 4' and 10' waters to catch bait, and the cousins hooked lots of trout in both depths. Lots of sea bass in the 10' spot, and on the way out to hunt cobia in deeper waters we found feeding macks that gave us super fun topwater sky-high hits. Even caught about half a dozen or so slab pink mouth grunts on sabiki, a real blast on our ultralight setup.

The cobes proved to be a different story this day. Tried two favorite public numbers but got skunked, so desperate for better luck targeted a favorite less public/fished private spot. Found them at home... BUT... lady luck was NOT on our side. Female cuz-in-law seemed more interested in texting her honey back home, so we lost two to the rocks before we could even get much progress made on getting the fish headed boat-ward. One was OH SO CLOSE, but this happened... :smt010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T5W5tIiBSU[/video]

With no trophy cobia pics to snap, the GOOD MAN above got my attention with his Master Painter's work. Know a few of us hit the water Saturday but for those who didn't here's how pretty it was!

Just CAN'T beat these running conditions!
P1050396.JPG
P1050321.JPG
Love the dark clouds and the reflections on the dark water...
P1050327.JPG
Not a drop of rain on us, but sure raining over Lanark way.
P1050340.JPG
Anybody else see an offensive lineman lowblocking a rushing linebacker? CFB can't get here soon enough! :-)
P1050359.JPG
Close up of "The Block"
P1050357.JPG
P1050389 (2).jpg
Back on my beloved Econfina after a month away, so not a single complaint here... no Sir, not a single complaint! :-) :thumbup: :beer:
P1050398.JPG
End on related cobia note, while WE didn't boat one, it turns out I can share a report that one of Marine Dream's earlier catches was recently re-hooked 95 miles a way, and almost a year after being tagged! Only my second hit of about 50 fish tagged so it made my day getting the news in the mail!
Tag Report 2.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
zload
Site Sponsor

Re: A Day Admiring The Master Painter's Work

Post by zload »

Gained 8" in less than a year!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

One was OH SO CLOSE, but this happened...
That ain't no cobia, that's a shark :D

How's that reel working out?

and yes it poured at Lanark all day.
big bend gyrene

Ced0412, looking more closely at the video, certain you're right... I didn't want to fight any of the hooked fish long so tried ID'ing the hookups / passing on the rod quickly... was deep in murky water when I called it based mostly on it's size, and I never was closer than the camera after that, but looking at the tail and fins, yep... think you're 100% right. :thumbup:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Great pictures!
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

Great picture taking! Beautiful!
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

Favorite BigBendGyrene quote of the week, "it's a cobia, I've caught a million of them" :thumbup:
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

MarkM wrote:Great picture taking! Beautiful!

Agreed!!
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
big bend gyrene

ontiltttttt wrote:Favorite BigBendGyrene quote of the week, "it's a cobia, I've caught a million of them" :thumbup:
Well... sharks included that's probably true. :wink: :lol: Take the sharks away and probably need to remove 4 zeros off my quoted number for me to feel completely safe! :-D

On the shark note, another reason I quickly ID'd it as a cobe was that it bit a spro jig with a big white curly tail attached...99% of the time that combo results in either cobia or grouper for us and I could see the shape of the fish well enough to know it wasn't a grouper. Actually cast the jig at a bait ball cruising by so best guess is the shark bite was a quick instinct bite (it was a near instant hookup).

Not sure others will agree with my culinary tastes, but with a freezer full of cobia I wish we had landed the shark if a blacktip! Love me some grilled blacktip from time to time. Few fish hold together better on the grill than blacktip! :lick: :thumbup: :beer:
Ranaman

Post by Ranaman »

Nice!