Best tactic to catch Black Sea Bass

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

carolinaskiff238dlv

Best tactic to catch Black Sea Bass

Post by carolinaskiff238dlv »

Anyone have a certain way that works best for catching Sea Bass they would recomend.
loki2

Re: Best tactic to catch Black Sea Bass

Post by loki2 »

find fish, bait hook with whatever bait you have, drop it down, be ready.
carolinaskiff238dlv

what kinda rig do you tie?
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

Like Loki2 said. They eat anything, including each other! They like rocky areas, but we've occasionally catch them in the grass flats, but rocky areas are the best.
MarkM

Post by MarkM »

I use a 4 or 30000 series spinning reel and enough weight to get it down to near the bottom of whatever depth water your in. Pieces of squid work for me.
ontiltttttt

Post by ontiltttttt »

If in a boat: any rocky flat (Stony Bayou comes to mind as well as Rock Garden) will hold fish. Any shrimp flavored artifical will do the trick or even pieces of dead/live shrimp.

If on foot: if you can get to the rocks at Sikes Cut in SGI you'll catch your limit in no time using small pieces of shrimp on a J hook.

Good luck!
carolinaskiff238dlv

Thanks Alot!
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

As has been said target rocky areas or wrecks. Don't waste your time on the flats(stony or rock garden) if you want to target keepers. You may find a few on the flas, but no where near he numbers you will find in a little deeper water. Good luck
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
One Keeper

Post by One Keeper »

We always caught them out of Econfina/Aucilla. Just head out to the bird racks bout 3-4 miles offshore and find spotty bottom in 8-12 goot of water and drop a jig like gulp or bass assasian on a 1/4 ounce jig head and hang on. Just remember spotty bottom out there usually means small rocks scattered about. Good luck and keep us posted.
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Target trout and redfish, often works for us!
Pangler
Site Sponsor

Post by Pangler »

I've heard 'rumors' from older fishermen that once you found a rocky spot you could drop a line with several leaders baited with cotton with no hooks and catch black bass all day. I've never tried it before but I have pulled them up 2 at a time on a single bait!! Just sayin!! :D
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Tagging along with what Williamsdad said, all it takes for me to flat out tear them up is to plan a trip with grouper as my intended target... works EVERY time. :smt010 :lol:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

They are the most aggravating, good tasting fish I ever caught.

You got to love some of the comments you members made!

After you cut his head off and gut him, most of your fish is GONE. If you filet and take the skin off, he is mostly ALL GONE and you wonder why you went to so much trouble.

Thanks for the post. It was as good as reading comics!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Figures I put the jinx on me and Luc, just what i said happened yesterday evening, got a mess of them off S. Point bouncing jigs off bottom, 1 nice flounder mixed in, 1 smaller one lost side of boat. All the BSB are still there. We're stumped on the trout and redfish - like we don't know what we're doing - maybe we don't.

Where did all the floating grass come from, and when will it go back!
tallykenjsbetterhalf
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenjsbetterhalf »

They are very tasty, but they need to be at least 13-14" Hate to keep the just legal ones as all you end up with is fish nuggets. Seems a shame to kill a fish for four fish nuggets. Anyway, the little buggers can be aggravating. We were on one of our holes last year when the water was crystal clear all the way down to 20'. Saw sheepshead and door mats down there and couldn't get the bait down to them b/c the sea bass gobbled everything up before it would get to our target fish. :smt012 They are a lot of fun to catch and a great dinner if you catch some that are a decent size. :-D