Crystal river Scalloping and swimming with the Manatee's ???

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Crystal river Scalloping and swimming with the Manatee's ???

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D My wife would really like to try going down there. I have lots of questions. 1st how much past Keaton's turn off going south is it? What ramp would be best to launch from? Where do you go for scallops?(general area would be fine) How long is the ride out from the ramp and in to the springs? (just trying to figure how early we need to get going) We have swam with the Manatee's there before with a guide but have never Scalloped there and would like to try it. Any tips on navagtion hazards or areas to avoid would also be helpful,Thanks Greg. :-D
mbweimar

Re: Crystal river Scalloping and swimming with the Manatee's

Post by mbweimar »

There's a public ramp next to Charlie's Fish house, which is an EXCELLENT place to eat. There's also an FWC field office down there between Inglis and Crystal River, but they're closed on Sundays. They can probably answer any questions you have, or point you in the right direction. Here's the number: 386-758-0525
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mbweimar wrote:There's a public ramp next to Charlie's Fish house, which is an EXCELLENT place to eat. There's also an FWC field office down there between Inglis and Crystal River, but they're closed on Sundays. They can probably answer any questions you have, or point you in the right direction. Here's the number: 386-758-0525
Thanks I'll call them. How long it take to get from there to the gulf?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Hit-n-Miss, sure wish I could help you but I've never fished out of Crystal River. Charlie's Fish House sounds good to me! Let us know if you go. We always like reading your reports.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Crystal River is WAYYYY past the Keaton turnoff. It is down below Cedar Key.

I would estimate you have another 100 miles to Crystal River from the Keaton turnoff.

I have a buddy that fishes ther a lot, and from what he said, it does not take long at all to go from ramp to flats. However, I do not know what ramp he puts in at.

Yes, they see manatees there a lot, but they are hands off, or you get a ticket.....

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

Dubble Post :smt012
Last edited by Dubble Trubble on July 21st, 2013, 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Thanks SS-342 we have planned to go to Keaton the last 2 weeks and not gone due to the weather. Wow Dubble I did not think it was that much farther looking at the map. Looks about like driving to jax from here 2.5 hours. Takes us about 1.5 to get to Keaton. I was figuring it would only be about another hour. The 2 ramps I saw were 1 right off 98 and 1 out west fort island trail that is out in the gulf.
bman

Post by bman »

One tip... there is a lot more meat on a Manatee than in a scallop.
Happy Hunting :-D
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

bman wrote:One tip... there is a lot more meat on a Manatee than in a scallop.
:smt005 :smt005 :smt005 trouble maker! :smt005 :smt005 :smt005

I used to launch from the marina and it is a pretty good ride to the gulf from there. The big fat tender manatee are up by the main springs usually. Although FWC has made a lot of the river no wake from time to time.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Sorry Hit-N-Miss, I've never been on the water out there. I go there from time to time to do maintenance on FWC's radios. Although next time I'm down there I may bring the boat.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Yep :lick: :lick: :lick:
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

MudDucker wrote:

I used to launch from the marina and it is a pretty good ride to the gulf from there. The big fat tender manatee are up by the main springs usually. Although FWC has made a lot of the river no wake from time to time.
How long would it take to get to the gulf? Nice scenic ride? Where do you go when you hit the gulf?
woopty
Site Sponsor

Post by woopty »

There is a great ramp at the mouth of Crystal River that would save you from having to run the river.
It's at the end of county rd. 44 Fort Hood Trail.
Take a right where the sign for the Plantation Inn sits.

The river ride is cool too. Look for the buoyed areas to view manatees. (don't swim with them,illegal)
There is also an awesome shell mound historic site on the way out.

A must-do down there is Homosassa Springs just south of Crystal River.
Don't enter at the gate on US19, turn right at the light on W. Hall's River Rd then follow the signs to the actual site. Jungle cruise from US19 is lame and takes too long.
More fish than you can shake a stick at! The place will make a grown fisherman groan.

If ya want to party, take a cruise along the Homosassa River. Tons of places and people, monkey island, awesome island homes. But be careful, lots of rocks.
"You got time to breathe, you got time fur music..."
...Briscoe Darling Jr.

JB
http://zydecozoo.com
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Ditto on the rocks. same for CR at the beach at the fort, no big problem just go with care when you get out side of the markers water can be skinny on low tide at the area around the ramp at the beach but it can be done with care . Ozela area just to the south of the beach is a great red fish spot on the last 3 hours of high tide, skinny water boats only
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Hit-n-Miss wrote:
MudDucker wrote:

How long would it take to get to the gulf? Nice scenic ride? Where do you go when you hit the gulf?
It was about a 15 minute or so boat ride out the river and it was very scenic. I have never scalloped there, just fished for reds and trout. I am sure that the local bait house can tell you where to go on the flats for scallops and of course, I suspect you will see the scalloping armada when you get there.

I just hope old Bob isn't still there or you need to watch out. He had a 45' Hatteras with the river curves programmed into his autopilot so he could ski hot women out the river and watch them rather than the river! :o
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!