St Marks Scallops Reports ........

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Reel Fun
Site Sponsor

St Marks Scallops Reports ........

Post by Reel Fun »

I haven't heard of any reports from St Marks, other than the "one" on 7/2 here. A buddy went to St Joe last Sat. and did very good. And it looks like Lanark is very good. Anyone heard any other reports from St Marks ? I just want to get a few and enjoy the swim....
Time on the water is NEVER wasted time.
redbelly7

Re: St Marks Scallops Reports ........

Post by redbelly7 »

I'm hoping someone will also give a report from Keaton. I went to St Joe last weekend and scallops were plentiful. I want to go to Keaton tho
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Redbelly, we went last week and got a few. They are scattered and not plentiful but fun to get what you can find. Most of the boats were off of Big Grassy in 3.5 to 5 foot water. Found very few out from Deckle. None around Birdrack #1.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

Visibility is terrible at St. Marks right now. I went out yesterday in the rain and visibility was less than 2 feet. I didn't see one scallop.
hookedonred

Post by hookedonred »

Anymore updates on water clarity and scallop reports around st. marks?
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Hookedonred, related enough I hope that the share is worth your time reading... this past week I went out of Econfina and we hopped in a few spots just to check.

As scalloping goes, usually if St. Marks has them heavy, it will be decent over Econ way too even if not quite as heavy... if few at St. Marks, Econ will usually have few too.

Well, over a span of drifting over pretty grass for 45 minutes or so AND in an area where I've done well in past years... we found ONE scallop. A single, solitary SMALL scallop at that.

Water at close in shallower scallop spots I've targeted in recent years was so cloudy we didn't even try.

This shared, the area we did snorkel a couple of miles further out in about 6' waters was shockingly clear. We could see fine. Crazy dark and cloudy closer to shore, but the 6' depths just a few miles southwest of the mouth were about as pretty as I remember seeing them, but again all it prospered us was ONE scallop. Tons of pinfish, few sea urchins, and one slab flounder lying on the bottom. If want scallops, sadly just don't think this is the year to target St. Marks to the Econ area when Lanark and Steinhatchee are producing much more solid reports.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Speaking of how dark the water was closer to shore / near the mouth area... this pic I took speaks a 1,000 words. :lol:
Florida Tea.jpg
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945