Boat srtuck by lightning

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

micci_man

Boat srtuck by lightning

Post by micci_man »

Just heard on the Lake Seminole report that the tournament director Greg Warner and his wife were running back to the ramp, sunshine and no rain but a storm on both sides of the lake. Running 4k rpm's when lightning struck the boat in front of the steering wheel, knocked both of them out of the boat, burnt/melted the carpet, fried the motor and all gauges. When the wife came to she found Greg coughing up blood and she called for help. Both are doing well considering and lucky to be alive.

Y'all be careful out there with these storms around.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
bman

Re: Boat srtuck by lightning

Post by bman »

That is scary... especially knowing some of the storms I've run through.
glad to hear they are ok!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
bbb

Post by bbb »

We had a small shower come over us yesterday on Seminole. Not the first lightning/thunder til it went by us and got back over land. Then the light show began.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Ditto exactly what Bman said. Very thankful they both survived! Lifting prayers that they both fully recover.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

So much for thinking lighting won't strike a moving object...
Sir reel
Site Sponsor

Post by Sir reel »

If it had carpet, would it be correct to assume the hull was aluminum ? any less chance if the hull were glass ? Either one would have wiring running all over and the motor shaft in the water. I don't know the science involved... just throwing out some stuff I've wondered about in the past.
"Good Judgement" comes from experience, ... and a lot of that..... results from "Bad Judgement".
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

The thing to remember about lightning is "it is unpredictable". Yes, a plastic boat might help, and yes, carpet is an insulator, but if the "potential" (strike voltage) is high enough these two items "may"(?) not make much difference. Lightning does not always follow the normal rules of "basic electricity". I believe the best advice for boaters is to get as low as possible to reduce yourself and/or your boat as a target.
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Yeah, I sure learned my lesson back in '89 on Lake Pontchartrain. Holding her into the wind during a freak thunderstorm, 6 foot waves (at least).

That's when it happened. I remember thinking, "Damn! You really can't let go when you're getting electrocuted." I'm sitting there frozen in a paralyzed state holding onto the stainless steel helm for what seemed like a VERY long time, but was probably less than a second or two.

My eyes were locked, looking at my left forearm. I remember thinking, "If my arm start smoking, I'm dead." Then it let me go.

That's when I realized that I really did believe in God, because I meant it when I said, " Thank you God. Thank you God. Thank you God. . . ."

So I said to my buddy, who was sheltering in the hold, "Did you feel that?" "No," he said, "but I think we sprung a leak!"

Sprung a leak? I just got struck by lightning and I'm waiting for my heart to stop beating any second, and he's telling me that we sprung a leak? Is he serious?

My arms are numb, my knuckles and joints feel toasted, and I've got exit burns on my shins. Still, I figure I better check out this leak thing, so I go below.

Sure enough, I'm knee deep in water. I go to feeling around and come across a splintered hole in the hull. Tried to stuff a life jacket in it, but all I got in return was my hand caught in a torture trap; you know, the kind where you can push it in but you can't pull it out.

Somehow I managed to retrieve my hand without getting it too cut up. Tried the motor, it was fried.

My buddy, panicked by now, says, "What are we gonna do!?", and starts hollering over the side, " Mayday! Mayday!", as if anyone was within shouting distance.

I said, "I'll tell you what we're gonna do! We're going to start that 25-horse kicker motor and head our asses back to the hill. You drive and I'll bail."

Now, I'm not the biggest or the strongest guy in the world, but let me tell you, when your arms are numb from getting struck by lightning, and you're full of adrenaline (sinking boats will do that to you), you can bail a lot of water with a five-gallon bucket! For a looong time.

I'm barely keeping up, maybe losing a little ground, when we finally get back to the marina. Jump off the boat, run inside, tell them we're sinking, so could they please hoist us out of the water. They were happy to help, but the horse-laughing they gave us didn't make me feel any better.

So that's when I learned. . .

Never go out in conditions on purpose that you haven't already been in by accident before. :shock:
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Scary story Will.. you're lucky to have survived that!
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Harmsway....What a story! Wow! That's how it happens sometimes. Two or three things team up togather and you are in serious problems. Either one of those problems would have been serious. You are one lucky man!

Did the lightening cause any damage to you hands or arms?
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

That's scary, Harmsway. I'm glad you pulled through it.
The Back Porch
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Dang man. What a story!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Danged Harmsway, you are one lucky son of a gun!

Folks, lightning is way more powerful than most any other electrical force you are a likely to encounter. Thin wet carpet is very poor insulation. Lightning doesn't strike at an object, it strikes at a build up of energy, which can be sitting or moving. If it is lightning, I am either staying at the hill or heading for it ASAP! :o
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

SS-342 wrote:Harmsway....Did the lightening cause any damage to you hands or arms?
Thankfully nothing permanent, 342. Finger joints were swollen and sore for a week or two.

That white streak in my hair made up for it; chicks did it. ;-)
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

Harmsway wrote:
SS-342 wrote:Harmsway....Did the lightening cause any damage to you hands or arms?
Thankfully nothing permanent, 342. Finger joints were swollen and sore for a week or two.

That white streak in my hair made up for it; chicks did it. ;-)
You the man Harms! 8)
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton