First time Lanark

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DaveD

First time Lanark

Post by DaveD »

Hey guys first time poster here. I have been reading the forums for a long time now and just never posted. Anyway I am from Crawfordville and know St.Marks, Shell Point/Oyster Bay area but have never launched in Lanark before and plan on doing so this Sunday to go scalloping since there are none in my area. A buddy was telling me that he plans on launching in Carrabelle and boating over to the scallops. I actually want to launch in lanark cause I hear great fishing stories from anyone who fishes there and I also wanted to get familiar with the lay of the land. I hear its very shallow area and you have to watch wear you are going. My boat needs at least 1.5' of water. So can someone give me a quick tutorial of the channel going out and where i need to go for scallops and if anythings marked before i head out on this journey. That would be great. Thanks guys

P.S. maybe where some fishies swim to would be great!

Thanks again!
culrich
Site Sponsor

Re: First time Lanark

Post by culrich »

call the store 850-697-2211 :thumbup:
NO FLUKE!!!

LANARK MARKET!!!!
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

I will be subscribed to this post, as I now have a vessel that drafts closer to 2.25ft compared to my last and first rig Carolina Skiff J16 that would float and run if you spit in front of it. And I too will be navigating the Lanark waters soon for some possible scallops. 8)
bbb

Post by bbb »

Lanark gets shallow at low tide, kinda like the st marks flats. Except at St Marks you can go South for deeper water. In Lanark you have to go on the other side of the reef to find deeper water.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

We fish Lanark with a 22 ft Cape Horn that drifts around 1.5ft and needs about 3ft to get up. And we need/want at least 3 ft to run in. We fish Lanark a lot. If you want to go out the marina and to the left you need to go straight out for a little, closer to the reef than shore before turning. It's typically deeper closer to the reef than the shore. There is however a shoal that sticks out from the reef at some point. We run through there fine on most positive tides. We don't try on low tides. We used our Garmin GPS with depths to figure it out the first few times, and now we follow our saved paths on the GPS. The best way to go toward Turket Point is to go right out of the marina through the cut and go around the reef on the outside. You will do good to get a local chart if your GPS doesn't have depth contours.
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

What are the coordinates of that reef?
bbb

Post by bbb »

saltycrab wrote:What are the coordinates of that reef?
It's a small island. You can't miss it.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

Yeah, only part of it gets submerged, but even that's visible. One way to check it out is to look at it on Google Earth/Maps.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Just curious, how was the fishing there ? Thinking about going Wednesday morning or afternoon.