Oyster Bay/Piney Island

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

DFresh31788

Oyster Bay/Piney Island

Post by DFresh31788 »

Haven't posted here in a while. Just got reboated on thursday and decided to make a quick trip out to break her in. Stopped by Piney Island and my oldest landed a pompano on his first cast. water clarity was about 18 inches. After several ladyfish catches and 1 nice blue, we moved east to the honey hole and found a permit along with a 15 and 20 inch trout. water clarity there was also 18 inches. End of 2 1/2 hour trip = no boat problems, 5 fish for supper, and one happy guy to be back on the water passing this love onto my children...
Seachaser 1800 RG
DFresh31788

Re: Oyster Bay/Piney Island

Post by DFresh31788 »

okay having trouble with the images, trying this again. pics are from 8/3/13 trip

Seachaser 1800 RG
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Thanks for the post. Yep that is what it is all about. Glad you were able to put the children onto fish. To fish and eat your catch is good bonding for a family. Lots of lessons can be taught during and after fishing trips. Good to read a report like this....thanks! Congratulations to you and all those young fishermen!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

How big was the permit? I caught one about 2 years ago at the end of Sept out of Icky.
luceror
Site Sponsor

Post by luceror »

dido, how big was the permit? IM curious cause I fish in that area alot--didnt even know that they Could be caught in this area. Glad your back in the water!
Allnighter

Post by Allnighter »

Permit what?????
Do you have a picture of these fish.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

maybe I can get Chief Blackshear to put the pic or my permit up. It was caught 2 years ago, late Sept. It was about 20 lbs. The honorable JR can attest to the catch.
blackshear

Post by blackshear »

Last edited by blackshear on August 8th, 2013, 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Pathfinder 1806
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Holy cow!!!! Nice permit!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Rhettley wrote:Holy cow!!!! Nice permit!
X2 Very nice fish!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

I'm hoping to get another one this year, but sounds like the water really needs to clear up. If it doesn't rain for the next 8 weeks, maybe we'll have a good fall. But it really sounds like the permit have already left the Econfina area w/ the fish kill.
Gatorbite

Post by Gatorbite »

Sorry but Permit don't live this far north, maybe you caught a Jack.
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

Gatorbite wrote:Sorry but Permit don't live this far north, maybe you caught a Jack.
Thats what I was thinking as well, but that picture that blackshear posted for redbelly sure looks like a permit to me (which he said he caught near the icky). I would sure like to see the pics from DFresh...
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

I thought for sure it was going to turn out to be a big pompano, but after seeing the pics, I agree . . . PERMIT. :smt045 :smt038
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
redbelly7

Post by redbelly7 »

ask JR, we bought bait and the pink gulps at his place before the trip and called him after landing the permit. We showed it to him after we got out. He now tells everyone that goes fishing w/ me that they may need to borrow his earmuffs, so they wont have to listen to my story of catching a permit out of Icky. hehehe.