Extra Floor Support?

All things having to do with boats, trailers, engines, electronics and accessories.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

saltycrab

Extra Floor Support?

Post by saltycrab »

Ok guys and gals,
My 1998 Wellcraft 190CCF has a slight flex in the floor in front of the console. It is very slight, and not at all mushy. I don't believe the floor is "soft" because I can see the fiber glassed wood underneath via the hatch next to it, and it doesn't look or feel waterlogged. I am just hoping that it is a design flaw of the boat. The other side does it very very slightly as we'll. It isn't bad, just irks me. I do plan on adding some support.

The pictures below help demonstrate what I am talking about. The circle is the spot in question, and the lines are the shape of the support I plan to make and where the void space above the supports in he boat are.

What composite material would you advise using for this? I plan on making it just shy of the depth and filling the rest in with 5200. Thoughts?

Golforfish?

Re: Extra Floor Support?

Post by Golforfish? »

5200 drys soft so you will still have a bit of flex. I may be wrong but it looks like you can fit a 2x4 in that gap. If so I would go pressure treated and use a west marine epoxy to secure it. The epoxy will hold it in place but still have enough give for those rough rides. Good luck.
bman

Post by bman »

How thick is that gap?
A piece of wood would last for areally long time- but starboard would be there longer than the boat.

I wonder if it really matters whats inside if you glass it in.
A lot of boats use foam stringers - all the structural support comes from the fiberglass.
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
SCALAWAG
Site Sponsor

Post by SCALAWAG »

HI, I HAVE A WELLCRAFT TO, AND MORE THAN LIKELY YOU HAVE HAD LEAKING AROUND THE SCREW'S THAT HOLD YOUR HATCH DOWN AND IT HAS ROTTED THE WOOD AROUND THE HATCH. TAKE YOUR HATCH OUT AND LOOK AROUND THE EDGES. IF IT HAS, DIG THE BAD WOOD OUT AND YOU CAN REPAIR THIS WITH WHAT IS KNOWN AS PEANUT BUTTER, (RESIN MIXED WITH SAW DUST). BE SURE AND SEAL YOUR HATCH AND SCREWS LATER. BE SURE AND PRE-DRILL THE SCREW HOLES IN THE PATCHED AREA. IF THE AREA IS BIGGER THAN JUST THE HATCH CUT OUT YOU CAN USE (GIT ROT)(WATER THIN EPOXY). YOU DRILL SMALL HOLE'S IN THE DECK IN THE SOFT AREA AND SQUEEZE THE GIT ROT IN IT AND THIN LET IT SET UP. THEY USE PLYWOOD IN THE BOAT DECKS AND THE WATER GET'S IN THE CENTER PART OF THE PLYWOOD YOU CAN'T TELL JUST BY LOOKING AT THE BOTTOM.
2016 Carolina Skiff 218DLV
Honda 115
saltycrab

Post by saltycrab »

I will take a look at that.

May use some of this for support:

http://www.transomrepair.net/product_in ... 88e6660fcf

Hopefully there isn't any water intrusion.