Boat Ramps?

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

pastorterry

Boat Ramps?

Post by pastorterry »

I hear all of the local guys talking about the different places they put in. I have found some of them on Google Maps. The Light House, Bottoms Road, and the one at Shell Island Fish camp. Where is the Fort? I also saw the one at Econfina State park. I have fished a lot from Alligator Bay to SGI. But east of Alligator is new ground for me. If someone could give me the rundown on the different places to put in it would be helpful!? Thanks!
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
wevans
Site Sponsor

Re: Boat Ramps?

Post by wevans »

“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

The fort is next to shields marina on the st marks river. It is a good ramp. The fort is a food place to put in or take out at low tide. I prefer it to shields because the ramp is wider and better parking( I like to sound money is shields ship store tho). Another good thing about that ramp is the water is fresher thàn most other places. Engine gets a good flush on the way in and your trailer isn't getting as salty. It is about an 8 mile( I think) run out to the lighthouse from there. Mashe sands and panacea also have nice ramps and much closer to the fishing. Hope this helps
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
pastorterry

Post by pastorterry »

Thanks for the info. It's bad being a rookie.
5 Happy is he who has the God of Jacob for his help, Whose hope is in the Lord his God,
6 Who made heaven and earth, The sea, and all that is in them; Who keeps truth forever, Psalms146:5-6 (NKJV)
bman

Post by bman »

Lots of rocks and oyster bars east of the light house... Be careful running through there.
And right now the water is so dark its hard to see them.

Great fishing just hazardous ;-)
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Unless you go with someone several times, I would stay away from Aucilla and Econfina. Unless you like spending money on lower units. Have seen it happen so many times.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Run from the Fort or Lighthouse ramp out to the birdrack and run the west flats. Pretty safe out that way. Running the east flats when you can't see squat is like pissing in the wind, you're going to have an issue :-D
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

pastorterry wrote:Thanks for the info. It's bad being a rookie.
We've all been there and done that so don't feel bad asking for help. A lot of good members on this forum willing to help. Throw some of the most seasoned members out on the Texas Gulf and they would be in your same boat.

Good luck fishing.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Pastorterry, the"fort" ramp in St. Marks is really a Wakulla County public ramp. Good wide and deep, user-friendly for all sized boats. We call it the "Fort" only because is is right beside the old Spanish fort at the confluence of the St Marks and Wakulla rivers. It is properly named, and searchable as, San Marcos De Apalache Historic State Park, 148 Old Fort Road, St Marks, Florida.
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.