Large rock around Capes

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ifishtoo

Large rock around Capes

Post by Ifishtoo »

Hope some folks here can contribute on this topic. What is the best time of year to fish large rock formations around Cape San Blas and Cape St George? Is bottom fishing there any good in December? What is the DEC-JAN average water temperature 10-15 miles south of that coastline?
DWilliams

Re: Large rock around Capes

Post by DWilliams »

I don't get over that way much but dive out of Panacea and the water temp may dip into the 50's in Jan.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I'm familiar with Steinhatchee. They often have Jan-Feb surface temps in 46-55 ft. that are often around 58-62 degrees. I am wondering if in 50-80 ft, around 10-15 miles off those Capes, will they have surface temps around 60 degrees?? I would suspect out in 95-100 ft, temps would be near 62-64 degrees in Jan-Feb.

Hope to hear some more input.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

I used to fish out of Mexico Beach a lot in the winter before they shut down so many of the seasons. It depends on the weather and if a loop current has spun off and come up into the area but I'd say 60 is about as warm as you will see and usually in the mid to upper 50's. Pretty much all the bait fish and any migratory species will have moved out of the area unless it's an unusually warm fall, which I highly doubt this year. I have caught kings as late as Dec. 22nd but we had a very unusual fall that year.
Check the regulations closely before you go to see what is open or closed.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Thanks for the input. I'll try to find out what they are allowing on that particular week! I know plenty of regs are there and they're always changing. We are just trying to do some fishing and locate some new areas. He is trying to find some natural bottom, versus artificial reefs. Imagine there are some dandy sheep head, flounder, white trout, and who knows what else in 35-55'. I'm thinking out in 95 ft, temps will usually be above 59?? Just thought some folks would be able shed some "real experience" on how far out it is to 60 degrees around New Years.
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Well, apparently many folks are interested in this post, with almost 700 views. I see only two folks have commented. Send me a private message and maybe I can help expand your fishin area? Gotta be some good fall fishing coming within the next couple of weeks. By mid Oct, Kings should be moving, as well as Cobia. I'm boatless these days.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Did the list of artificial reefs line up with some of the large rocks you were looking at? Some of those rise 10 feet and some old shrimp boats are large.