Looking for some words of encouragement at St Marks

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishforfun

Looking for some words of encouragement at St Marks

Post by fishforfun »

My last trip was the first week of August. Water was terrible out of St Marks all the way to barge 24. Even though the weather was decent, fishing was terrible too. Even my pinfish trap had all dead fish after it was left overnight in the flats. Can anyone provide some words of encouragement, or a guess as to how long it will take to clear and make it worth the trip. FFF
Tidedancer
Site Sponsor

Re: Looking for some words of encouragement at St Marks

Post by Tidedancer »

There are still some fish being caught but not that many. The amount of fresh water in the rivers and bay have pushed a lot of fish further out. When the water quality is reduced the fish seem to go into a winter type mode and not eat nor be as active as we would like to see.

This past week some folks were going way offshore to catch hard tails for the Mexico Beach tournament and when they were brought back and placed in holding pens some of them died. This is usually a hardy bait and can handle being caught and kept. So I would believe the water salinity has a lot to do with that.

Just remember the trip out on the pond is the reward and the fish you catch are a bonus.
Just saying.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Just remember the trip out on the pond is the reward and the fish you catch are a bonus.
Just saying.[/quote]

Now that is some real WORDS OF WISDOM! I know you would like to catch some fish and you probably will but....just to be on the water is enough! Plan your trip and go! You'll be glad you did.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

SS-342 wrote:Just remember the trip out on the pond is the reward and the fish you catch are a bonus.
Just saying.
Now that is some real WORDS OF WISDOM! I know you would like to catch some fish and you probably will but....just to be on the water is enough! Plan your trip and go! You'll be glad you did.[/quote]

X2
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Nambleman

Post by Nambleman »

Fishforfun, the water vis is still terrible. Too much freshwater.
I went out Wednesday and yesterday. Ran out to st marks reef yesterday and pulled in 1 decent Cobia. That was it. The bite seems ti be pretty slow right now.
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Scrappy largemouth bass are still hitting in St Marks Refuge tidal creeks that normally hold reds and trout.

That's good news and bad news at the same time.
fishfalcon

Post by fishfalcon »

I fished from the kayak for two hours on Friday afternoon and only had three bites. Water visibility was a little better, but still a foot or less. Also there was some grass which is frustrating. That is the bad news. The good news is I caught a small jack crevalle, an almost 20" trout, and a 25" beautiful trout. It sure beat working.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I am going to hit a few of my redfish spots tomorrow morning. I will let you know how it goes. :wink:
wally
Site Sponsor

Post by wally »

Now this would make the best bumper sticker:

"Just remember the trip out on the pond is the reward and the fish you catch are a bonus."
fishforfun

Post by fishforfun »

Thanks for the feed back. I can only fish once every 4-6 weeks, so I will probably let it rest a few more weeks. I will keep the words of wisdom in mind....fishinfool....what'd you see? FFF
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

fishforfun wrote:...fishinfool....what'd you see? FFF
Wanting to know myself. Fishinfool will catch fish when no one else can!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Check the report section
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven