Tractor Gun & 4WD Vehicle Questions

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Tractor Gun & 4WD Vehicle Questions

Post by dombern34 »

a Golf Cart with some decent tires and i would use a Ar-15 or a 22-250. IMO
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Snake charmer= 410

My buddy that works on a plantation carries a 22.250 or his 243 on his tractor 24/7. Has a gun rack for it. He shoots snakes, pigs, coyotes, deer and other things with it.

Mule, JD gaotr, Kabota, XRT 850/950, polaris your $$$ will determine this purchase.

Congrats on the new property :beer:
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Hogs pretty much take the Judge and .410 out of the picture especially if a close panic face off. Yotes are likely going to be switching ends and moving out in high gear in a pull into the field surprise encounter so the whole rifle/ scope concept would not be very helpful plus scopes and snakes are tough. I'd pick a used 12 ga pump and then load on highest probability of first need. If hogs slug or buck with birdshot deeper in the tube, you could pump two out and have the birdshot for snakes ready in a vey short time.

I'd vote for folding stock to be compact you could probably make a pvc pipe rig to hold it out of the way.

Or a ma deuce and a flame thrower as a backup. :-D

If $ are no object check out a Kubota UV the diesel ones are built like a tractor but faster and more nimble I doubt you could wear out the diesel engine or tranny.
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
Barhopr
Site Sponsor

Post by Barhopr »

I've got a lever action Winchester carbine in 357mag with a red dot site. Will kill anything you are likely to encounter in the woods, anything! good on hogs/deer/coyote out to 150 yrds. I use the same loads for deer as for humans, Hornady Critical Defense. From a pistol at 100yrds the bullet is at 1147fps, from the 16" barrel of the carbine is got to be close to retaining 1300-1400fps at 100yrds which is close to the muzzle velocity from a pistol. If you wanna go cheap and shot at nothing further than 50 yrds, just load it with 38's
VIVA la BT

Image_______________Image
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

AR-15 with an EOTEC 512 should be all you need. Can be deployed quickly, with fast target acquisition, effective at close range, and decent for 100+ yard shooting.

Here's my rig:

zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

mbweimar wrote:AR-15 with an EOTEC 512 should be all you need. Can be deployed quickly, with fast target acquisition, effective at close range, and decent for 100+ yard shooting.

Here's my rig:

A crying shame to lose a rifle and mags like that in a boating accident on the GoM in deep water... :o
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

O.K. YOU OLD JARHEAD, I WILL GIVE YOU MY SET UP FOR RUNING THE PONDS AND SOD FIELDS. I HAVE A OLD SAVAGE .38, 410 OVER UNDER THAT I USE. THE 410 TAKES CARE OF ANYTHING WITHIN 50 YRDS. AND THE .38 TAKES CARE OF CYOTE, PANTHER, WILD HOGS, DEER, WOLVES ETC. UP TO 175 YRDS. I GENERALLY CARRY THIS GUN ON THE GOLF CART, WHICH IS A 1500 CLUB CAR WITH DUNPSTER 4 WHEEL DRIVE, GOES JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE EXCEPT WHEN TRYING TO CROSS THE RIVER, THEN IT TENDS TO SINK A LITTLE. I DO NOT USE A GUN ON MY OLD FARMALL SUPER C HIGH WHEEL WITH BELLEY MOWER, THAT THING SHAKES SO BAD I COULD NOT HIT ANYTHING WITH A RIFLE. IF I RUN UP ON ANY SNAKES WHILE MOWING I JUST MOW RIGHT OVER THEM AND THERE IS NOTHING LEFT WHEN THAT MOWER HITS THEM. I HAVE HAD MY LITTLE OVER-UNDER SINCE BACK IN THE THIRTIES, I THINK I PAID SOME WHERE AROUND $25 FOR IT ON THE SEAR MAIL ORDER CATALOG, IT SHOOT JUST AS GOOD NOW AS WHEN IT WAS NEW. MY BOY BORROWED IT THE LAST TIME HE WAS OVER HERE, I DOUBT THAT I WILL EVER SEE IT AGAIN. BY THE WAY I AM LOOKING FOR A 410 BOLT ACTION FOR MY GRANDSON IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ONE THAT YOU ARE NOT USING, GET IN TOUCH WITH ME.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

O.K. YOU OLD JARHEAD, I WILL GIVE YOU MY SET UP FOR RUNING THE PONDS AND SOD FIELDS. I HAVE A OLD SAVAGE .38, 410 OVER UNDER THAT I USE. THE 410 TAKES CARE OF ANYTHING WITHIN 50 YRDS. AND THE .38 TAKES CARE OF CYOTE, PANTHER, WILD HOGS, DEER, WOLVES ETC. UP TO 175 YRDS. I GENERALLY CARRY THIS GUN ON THE GOLF CART, WHICH IS A 1500 CLUB CAR WITH DUNPSTER 4 WHEEL DRIVE, GOES JUST ABOUT ANYWHERE EXCEPT WHEN TRYING TO CROSS THE RIVER, THEN IT TENDS TO SINK A LITTLE. I DO NOT USE A GUN ON MY OLD FARMALL SUPER C HIGH WHEEL WITH BELLEY MOWER, THAT THING SHAKES SO BAD I COULD NOT HIT ANYTHING WITH A RIFLE. IF I RUN UP ON ANY SNAKES WHILE MOWING I JUST MOW RIGHT OVER THEM AND THERE IS NOTHING LEFT WHEN THAT MOWER HITS THEM. I HAVE HAD MY LITTLE OVER-UNDER SINCE BACK IN THE THIRTIES, I THINK I PAID SOME WHERE AROUND $25 FOR IT ON THE SEAR MAIL ORDER CATALOG, IT SHOOT JUST AS GOOD NOW AS WHEN IT WAS NEW. MY BOY BORROWED IT THE LAST TIME HE WAS OVER HERE, I DOUBT THAT I WILL EVER SEE IT AGAIN. BY THE WAY I AM LOOKING FOR A 410 BOLT ACTION FOR MY GRANDSON IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ONE THAT YOU ARE NOT USING, GET IN TOUCH WITH ME.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I was about to suggest what someone else just did. The Rossi Matched Set. I have one of these and love it! Comes in many calibers. The one shown is 243/20Gage/and .410 gage. Change barrel by turning one scew thats hand tightened. No Tools. The extra barrels store in a canvas bag, so it'll store well on the tractor. Comes in 25 different rifle and shotgun barrels. Fairly cheap. Some Wal-Marts carry them. As far as it being single shot, Devil Dog, if you need more than one shot, you need practice!
S42022243YBS_1.jpg
salute2
Semper Fi
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I carry a ruger single six 22 mag with rat shot when bush hogging or plowing. Very deadly for snakes and small critters. Amule is hard to beat for utility veh.
Sea Ya !
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I carry my Glock 9mm with me whenever I am in the woods. I like to think of it as the Swiss Army knife of the gun world. :-)
Team Jolly Mon
rcrudder
Site Sponsor

Post by rcrudder »

I have a Kawasaki Mule. It is an 04 model and I just changed the oil for the second time in nine years. It is tough as an anvil. I also have a Honda Foreman. I keep a 410 pump in my cab tractor. . .locked up. It has worked well on the snake population. For hogs and coyotes get something that will reach out and touch.