Keaton Report 9-17-13

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Keaton Report 9-17-13

Post by SS-342 »

It had been over two months since we were on the water due to rain and a back log of work so we were ready. In the interim the engine's water pump had been replaced with a new kit but the mystifying thing was that nothing could be found wrong with the old one. The new water pump worked fine in the yard but a good test run was needed to ease all doubt as to it's dependability. Two new Shimano Stradic 4000 reels had been purchased and they needed testing as well. So, we were pumped, primed and ready to be on the water.

We were not disappointed in that it was beautiful with a good breeze blowing all day. The water from Dekle Beach south is clearing up. In fact, we could see the grass in four feet water out from Dekle through the still stained water. From there to Eaglesnest Trout grounds the water is still dark. Darker the closer you get to the Econfina with less fish bites as well.

We started the day fishing the good grass strip along side the outer channel markers with no luck. From there we moved out to Dog Head and picked up some shorts and sand trout. From Dog Head we fishing several spots toward Piney Point with no results. Not liking fishing south, I couldn't stand not being north on my favorite fishing grounds so we headed north. A good 19.75" inch dark colored trout went in the box out from Spring Warrior before racing on to Oyster Reef two mile north of Spring Warrior. Disappointed with that area and a little leery since the water was so dark, we moved on to Eaglesnest. Things here produced even darker water and no bites at all so we began working our way back toward Keaton stopping at several spots near the tri-pod at Spring Warrior, Yates Creek, Adam's Beach, Jabo and Dekle Beach.

The closer we got to Keaton the better the bite and the clearer the water. We never found the trout. We did catch a few shorts and lost a good 24" trout at the boat on our last stop along side the Keaton channel.

Fish wise a disappointing day but over all a good day on the water. Everything worked just fine! Water pump did great all day and the new reels were SUPER! Some floating grass but not as bad as two months ago.

A stop at Wilson's Bait Store to replenish the tackle box, hear a good story of someone catching the limit of trout out from Dark Island and a good chicken sandwich made our day.

Can't wait for the next trip and we hope it will be very soon!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: Keaton Report 9-17-13

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
robbankston
Site Sponsor

Post by robbankston »

:thumbup: Good report!
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week. -George S. Patton
Ifishtoo

Post by Ifishtoo »

Yes, that report follows what a friend of mine is saying about Steinhatchee. Should be great daytime fishing once this full moon passes. Hope the rain that is coming, does not turn into a monsoon. All that fresh water in the Big Bend area will eventually help fishing.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Thanks for a great report. Sorry you didn't find more fish, but some times we zig when we should zag.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

At least you were there. Sorry for the slow bite. The last good report I read from there was last weekend fishing south. They used live shrimp in 5-7 ft. :roll:
Yours in the South
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

DixieReb wrote: They used live shrimp in 5-7 ft. :roll:
Shrimp, pinfish or cut bait.

I can still see the one my wife lost at the boat. It could have ate mine!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP