Saltwater Baitcaster

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Pirate

Saltwater Baitcaster

Post by Pirate »

Need some advice. What is the best baitcasting reel (low profile) that will hold up in saltwater. Not looking to get out cheap. Performance is top priority. Thanks in advance
People that catch a lot of fish fish a lot!
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: Saltwater Baitcaster

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

6500 ABU GARCIA WITHOUT A DOUBT.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
everglades 26

Post by everglades 26 »

Abu Garcia orra inshore very good reel
mbweimar

Post by mbweimar »

+1 for the 6500. I just picked one up at academy for 79.99.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I know you said low profile in the beginning. That being said I would recommend the Shimano Chronarch, Chronarch CI4, or the Curado G. All are approved for saltwater use by Shimano. The CI4 is lighter than it's sibling, but the Curado has fewer bearings. Fewer bearings can mean fewer problems down the road.
I prefer the round style baicasters. They seem to fit my fishing style a little better. I am very partial to the Calcutta series. In the 100 size, they seem to be more than adequate for the trout and red fish in our area. If you want more line capacity and power the 200 size will more than do the job. I am even thinking of using my 200s for Cobia and the like. I like light tackle fishing.
Along those same lines the Abu Garcias are hard to beat. I have repaired and serviced many of both brands. The Abu reels do not seem to be as susceptible to corrosion problems as the Shimanos, but the overall feel of the Shimano reels makes me stick with them.
As with any reel, of any make or model. It is care and maintenance that will be the biggest factor in dependability. Religious fresh water rinses after a trip followed by periodic oiling will greatly enhance you reel owning and using experience.
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

I am really partial to the Shimano Calcutta 200 I have, I know its not a low profile reel however its the best one in my openion. I have mine mounted on a 7ft St.Croix rod. I may be diffrent than others but I always have three rods set up, the baitcaster I mentioned is always set up with either a Super Spook or a spinner bait that Aqua Dream makes, then I always carry two spinning reels also with 7ft rods and they will either have a gold spoon,jig or a popping cork on them. I feel that I like casting the heavier baits with the baitcaster to cover more water and the lighter baits on the spinning reels.
Flint River Pirate
Site Sponsor

Post by Flint River Pirate »

I'm with you Hollywood. That sounds like my set-up.
Team Jolly Mon
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Flint River Pirate wrote:I'm with you Hollywood. That sounds like my set-up.
X3 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
dombern34
Site Sponsor

Post by dombern34 »

I’ve only used one brand of reels nearly my whole life, i would get a Shimano. I have a few citicas, curados, and the Chronarch, the Chronarch to me seems to be the reel I use the most. its a very nice reel and with the proper care, saltwater won't be problem with. I like the Chronarch 50e which is a little smaller than the 200 and just feels better in your hand. Just my two cent, You get what you pay for with my experience
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

Shimano :thumbup:
neckmoe

Post by neckmoe »

Shimano Calcutta
I don't know when I'm gonna catch my next fish but I know when I do it's gonna be awesome!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

I fish four Shimano Calcutta 200's, one Shimano Chronarch, and two Shimano Chronarch Gold. Have used these outfits snook fishing for many years and have been subjected to fish twice the size they were designed for. None of them have ever been in the shop. I clean them every other trip and lub them up! Never had a sticky drag !!
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Abu Garcia Revo Inshore. Tiny and boy will it cast.
Sea Fox
Site Sponsor

Post by Sea Fox »

I've had a revo inshore for 3 yrs now and I really like it. Very smooth and cast good too.
Sea Ya !