What in the World?????

This section is for our members to talk about things not actually about fishing or boating. However, please read the Code of Conduct before posting.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

MuleTrainGA

What in the World?????

Post by MuleTrainGA »

http://dailycaller.com/2013/10/02/felon ... to-school/

Child was arrested for having a knife at school which was in his tackle box that was inside his truck. Lucky I never got caught...... :smt011
Trevor Moncrief
Fisheries Biology Class of 2014
Warnell School of Natural Resources, UGA
Jumptrout51
Site Sponsor

Re: What in the World?????

Post by Jumptrout51 »

The saddest part is that we have people on this forum who think that arrest action is OK.
WHOSE FISH IS IT?
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

I remember something like this a few years ago where a High school student who helped her parents move into their new home, had a steak knife get lost on the floorboard of her car. Expelled from school, no excuses, zero tolerance said the school board. BS.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

That's ridiculous and they need to go find the real criminals. Get a grip ppl, it was in a damned tackle box. Far removed from a 8" commando style knife sitting on the dash board or front seat.
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

We also used to take or shotguns to school in our cars and trucks so we could hunt squirrels after school. I have walked with a friend from his house off Mahan with 12 ga. shotguns to where Southwood is now to shoot ducks. We were never stopped or questioned by anyone. BTW, we never caused trouble or hurt anyone or damaged any property.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

It isn't that folks don't have common sense anymore. The laws are such that common sense can't be applied. We all have to look the same, one can't be treated different that another. A good old redneck, hunting and fishing boy have to be treated like a crazy person. It is a mixed up world!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

This is what happens when we follow the liberal mantra in this country and raise government control and actions over common sense. I can tell you, I would be in prison rather than an officer of the court had this been the law when I was in high school. It was a rare day that my vehicle did not contain a shotgun or a 22 rifle or heaven forbid, a filet knife.

Personally, I am disgusted with this type of knee jerk reaction law and one reason I am so shall we say less than gentle when it comes to arguments regarding our 2nd amendment rights. :smt011
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Dubble Trubble
Site Sponsor

Post by Dubble Trubble »

MudDucker wrote:This is what happens when we follow the liberal mantra in this country and raise government control and actions over common sense. I can tell you, I would be in prison rather than an officer of the court had this been the law when I was in high school. It was a rare day that my vehicle did not contain a shotgun or a 22 rifle or heaven forbid, a filet knife.

Personally, I am disgusted with this type of knee jerk reaction law and one reason I am so shall we say less than gentle when it comes to arguments regarding our 2nd amendment rights. :smt011

We have fools and idiots in Atlanta and in DC.

Sadly, this is just a simple refection of the fools and idiots we have in our society today

Dubble :thumbup:
The more I know about something, the more I know that I did not know as much as I thought I knew that I knew.
tin can
Site Sponsor

Post by tin can »

As MD said, I'd be in prison. My father gave me my first pocket knife when I was 9 years old. There has been a knife in my pocket almost every day of my life since.

Things are getting out of hand. :smt011
What was I supposed to do today?
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I was asked one time by a law enforcement officer if I had any weapons on me. I politely said no. When he found out I had a pocket knife he got indignant and said, "I thought you said you didn't have any weapons." I apologized and explained that I used it as a tool and it never occurred to me to use it as a weapon. I went on to explain that if I had a hammer in my pocket we probably would not be having this conversation. He understood my point and let it go.
If that happened today I would probably need a lawyer.
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

The real question here is - How long are each of us going to let this go on?

We have folks who paid for their houses, but are being kept out by the feds because of the shutdown.
Kids playing in their own yard with Airsoft guns getting suspended from school.
Families whose children died defending this country that can't get their funerals paid for.
The IRS aggressively pursuing citizens because of their political beliefs.

And the list goes on and on.

Are the bikers and the truckers the only ones willing to take a stand?
smeseroll
Site Sponsor

Post by smeseroll »

This is an absolute shame, but I'm not surprised one bit.

I grew up in a small town in NC, went to the kind of school where both students and teachers would often show up together in camo after coming straight from a hunt. I was fortunate to be one of the last classes to experience life prior to the 9/11 insanity.

Looking back, our school administrators did one of the most fantastic things that I think every school should do. They required the ENTIRE school to complete a boaters safety course and a hunters safety course. At the conclusion of hunters safety, the entire school went out on the baseball field and shot skeet, overseen by an NCWRC (our FWC) officer. Good luck with that now.

I guarantee that my old principal is shaking his head over this story too.
wevans
Site Sponsor

Post by wevans »

I am starting to become of the belief that the politicians WANT to have an uprising of the populace :o That way they can declare martial law and then really put the screws to us!! :smt012 AND I DO MEAN, ALL OF THE POLITICIANS!!!!
“Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them and you have their shoes.”
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

So let's have some fun and play devils advocate...

So they put these rules in place to protect our children from harms way. If I were a smart child that wanted to bring a weapon to school and I knew the rules, then shouldn't I be punished either way. Also if I were that same smart child that may be a bit on the psycho end (if we tried to use common sense as some refer to above) then I would know that I could bring a fishing tackle box to school and put my weapon in it and say I just forgot to take it out of the truck if I got caught before I committed any crime or act of violence. That is also saying that these kids totally understand the letter of the law, knowing that they would face these charges regardless.

Again, just playing devils advocate and having fun, because in the end I agree with you all and think it is crazy what happened to these kids.
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

To show how much of our common-sense / practical roots we've lost, I went to a PUBLIC Jr. High school in upstate South Carolina. During Jr. High, all boys in my grade took shop class.

Want to know what the PUBLIC SCHOOL had us make??? Gun racks. Yep, GUN RACKS.

Know how many of us killed other kids at school? Zero. Know how many of us actually brought loaded guns into the school? Zero. Know how many of us made crazy threats at school to even use guns. Zero. Know how many parents voiced even a whisper of anger over gun racks being made at school? Zero.

Above shared, know how many of my friends had guns and used them to regularly kill game within minutes of the school bell ringing? Probably 3/4 of the males in school.

We've let the nanny-state lead us from using common sense and virtues to guide our own lives into accepting limits on us that they tell us will leave us better "protected."

You all see how well that is working in "gun free" zones... the same ones where crazy killers slaughter defenseless folks until... wait for it... someone actually armed shows up to take care of the business that all the innocent unarmed folks can't.

Understand why many on this board don't like politics being discussed, but that shared, will just say without the freedoms we had in our youth being a focus of those still having at least a lick of sense, expect the few in power to allow absolute power to corrupt absolutely.
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945