Shimano Calcutta 201b / St Croix Triumph 7' M ($150)

Need to buy or sell something, post it here.(Only Sponsor Businesses Please)

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

ced0412

Shimano Calcutta 201b / St Croix Triumph 7' M ($150)

Post by ced0412 »

Need to make room in the fishing closet and get rid of rarely used gear.

$150 can meet in Tallahassee.

Reel is the left handed model, has a little boat rash but nothing bad. It's loaded with fresh 17lb mono. Rod is great shape.

SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Shimano Calcutta 201b / St Croix Triumph 7' M ($150)

Post by SS-342 »

I like the St. Croix Triumph rod. Use it in saltwater, wash and Real Magic it every trip and it is holding up well after several years.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Great deal! The Calcutta alone is worth more than the asking price... but I'm not left handed :(
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

It might be left handed , but isn't that correct for right handed fishermen??
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

charlie tuna wrote:It might be left handed , but isn't that correct for right handed fishermen??
Charlie, that is kind of a funny thought. I think I use whatever hand the handle is on and never think about it. Hum…let's see…..does it really matter? All my spinning reels are left hand handles but my spin cast and Ambassador are right handed.

Now I am confused!

Help!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Being right handed, I cast with the right hand, swap to the left hand, set the hook with both hands, crank with right hand.... Now I'm confused too!
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

"Normal operating proceedure" for right handed people using plug casting rods is to cast with the right hand and wind the reel with the left hand -- same as spinning tackle. I have three of these Calcuttas, over ten years old, and they have never been in the shop. They take a lot of abuse....
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

charlie tuna wrote:"Normal operating proceedure" for right handed people using plug casting rods is to cast with the right hand and wind the reel with the left hand -- same as spinning tackle. I have three of these Calcuttas, over ten years old, and they have never been in the shop. They take a lot of abuse....

I too have three Calcuttas, (right handed models)... and although my wife doesn't think so, I consider myself "normal"... (This Calcutta listed for sale is a left handed model)... Being right handed, I actually had to go check to be sure I was correct, but I believe the "normal" right handed procedure is to cast with the right hand, swap the rod to the left hand and reel with the right hand.
crappielimits

Post by crappielimits »

What kind of since does it make to switch hands? If right handed, you right hand will be stronger and more sensitive. So, why not work your bait and fight the fish with that hand? I personally can fish both ways, but prefer left handed models. Though, I am right handed. Try and find a left handed person who fishes with a left handed reel!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Jeesh, Why do you think they make and sell left handed reels? They're for left handed people! A right handed angler will hold the rod in his left hand so that he can crank the reel with his RIGHT hand.... hence the name "right handed reel".
Most people could crank a baitcaster with either hand but why crank with your weaker left hand if your right handed?
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

If any of you all want to buy this rig you can settle this right hand vs left hand argument :D

I'm right handed and use left hand retrieve reels. Cranking a reel requires no work for me, working the rod and fighting fish does therefore I'm better at using my dominant hand/arm for that. It may also be from a lifetime of using spinning and fly gear that it makes no sense to me to be switching hands to fish.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Didn't mean to sound argumentative... I'm sure a handful of right handed people (Orlando Wilson was the first I know of) use left handed reels and cast right/reel left like a open face spinning reel. They say it's more efficient and it probably is but... my point was only that most right handed people throwing a baitcaster cast with their right, hold the rod in their left and crank with their right. :beer:
ced0412

Post by ced0412 »

This is still available and I just upgraded the drag to carbontex.