Weekend Fishing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

mbweimar

Weekend Fishing

Post by mbweimar »

Saturday I put the boat in at Mashes Sands and ran over to Alligator Point hoping to find a few bull reds in the surf. I rigged two Abassadeur 6500C's with 50 lb braid and 60 lb leaders, mounted on med/heavy Ugly Sticks with mullet heads. Not 20 minutes later and about 100 yards from the beach I had a screamer. It ran so fast that by the time I got the other line in, 1/3 of the spool was gone. I quickly realized if I had any chance of landing this beast I needed to chase it down, so I did. A few minutes later I recovered most of my line and decided to let the fish tire itself and pull the boat around. 2 hours later, I finally caught a glimpse of it, and not surprised to see about a 6-7 foot shark. The GoPro was out of reach, so I couldn't get any pics of it before it broke off. But I did find a few cool pics of me fighting it. Afterwards I was pooped and headed in.

This was within the first few minutes of hooking up.

I cheated and let the rod holder fight, just long enough to crack open another cold one.

By this time the wind had died down and clouds had moved it. This was the last pic that was taken before the line broke.

Monday I took a buddy to St. Marks and fished around Stony Bayou on the falling tide. He prefers freshwater fishing and wasn't thrilled about being out there. I rigged him up with a live shrimp under a CT with a circle hook to make it easy for him. I fished a live shrimp with nothing but a circle hook. We ended up catching a ton of trout, all short except an 18 and an 20, 3 reds all 16-17, and a few nice sheepshead. Sadly, we had to pack up and leave before the bite turned off, otherwise we would have been stranded by the low tide. All in all we had a BLAST and I think I finally converted him into an inshore fisherman. Now if I could get him to stop wearing jeans and cowboy boots on the boat...haha

Say AHHHH!
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Re: Weekend Fishing

Post by SS-342 »

Looks like that one is due a dental cleaning!

You need a good partner to help you catch those big fish! Hope you have your friend hooked on saltwater inshore fishing and he will give you some help.

A good report and nice set up.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Harmsway
Site Sponsor

Post by Harmsway »

Hey, what are you doing with my mother-in-law?
To fish, or not to fish, . . . those are the answers.
Badbagger

Post by Badbagger »

Harmsway wrote:Hey, what are you doing with my mother-in-law?
That's JUST AWESOME :-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

Great report too!