First buck for my son Casey: 11/20 2013

For all your hunting related posts! If we get enough traffic here there will be other sub forums: Turkey Hunting, Deer Hunting, Duck Hunting...

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

First buck for my son Casey: 11/20 2013

Post by Big Bend Brian »

As my 14 year old son Casey left for High School in the morning yesterday I told him we’d try to get in a quick hog hunt when he returned from school. As I told him this I knew that when he returned from school we would only have a short short hunt but you don’t get em sitting on the couch…..

As soon as Casey got home at 4:10 pm he did a quick change of clothes, had a snack and we left to take a stand. On the way there we talked strategies and discussed shot placement. At 5 pm we settled into the 2 man stand with strong winds blowing 15 knots out of the NE (to our front) - we’d only have about 55 minutes before it would get to dark to shoot. Five minutes after we settled in we heard a hog grunting behind us (downwind) and saw a black hog cross a narrow opening 70 yards away paralleling us. I didn’t think that was gonna work out….

After about 25 minutes a flicker of movement 70 yards away caught my eye in the oak hammock. Using binocs I saw that it’s a buck and its eating acorns walking towards us. I whispered “BUCK!” to Casey and told him to get ready. He hadn’t seen it yet so I told him it was headed towards an opening in the brush where he would get a shot. Casey had to pivot 90 degrees to shoot and as the buck crossed behind a thick palm tree I told Casey to slide over and set up as his movement would be obscured.

The buck hit the opening 40 yards away with Casey on it with the Marlin 30-30 resting on the shooting rail. Walking forward it gave a perfect broadside shot but Casey didn’t pull the trigger (he said later there was something in the way). Viewing this all from behind Casey I see his head was shaking behind the scope and I’m thinking … “Oh NO Buck Fever!”

The buck turns slightly towards us and is now giving a semi-quarter profile and after a few seconds Casey takes the shot. The buck just drops and doesn’t move! We watch it for 30 seconds and then after some High Fives and “FIRST BUCK!!” statements he climbs down to take a look at his First Buck!

That was FUN!

(the closed mouth smiles are ‘brace smiles’)

Cell phone photo

Working

First buck!

Hoo Yah!!
Brian
Quality Time
FUTCHCAIRO

Re: First buck for my son Casey: 11/20 2013

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

CONGRATULATIONS CASEY, YA DID GOOD. NOW THE FUN BEGINS, GET THE KNIFE OUT AND START SKINNIN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
The Back Porch
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

MEGA-congrats! Absolutely nothing like that first one from the heart-racing stand point... nothing. Thanks for sharing! :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
micci_man

Post by micci_man »

Congrats Casey!!!!! Smile man, chicks dig braces :lick:

I can't tell you how many deer I have killed with 30-40 minutes to sit. Go if you can.
Don't major in the minor stuff in life
WolfeMan
Site Sponsor

Post by WolfeMan »

Congrats young man!
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

The ol "Thutty Thutty" strikes again, congrats and good shooting :thumbup:
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
CastTheFlats

Post by CastTheFlats »

Congrats to your son, great job dad showing him the way of the woods.
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Congratulations on your first deer Casey! I got my first one about that age and it looked a lot like that deer. I still have the rack and it brings back great memories. Get those pictures printed and frame one and display it with the antlers. You will kill bigger deer but the first buck will always hold a place of honor in your memories. Enjoy some good eating for you and your family too!
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Awesome! :thumbup:

I got one close to that age as well, but I put the horns in the barn without knowing how much squirrels like them. :smt009
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
DEMON
Site Sponsor

Post by DEMON »

Congrats Casey.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Congats. Fine 1st deer great job. :-D
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Nothing like the FIRST anything but that is a good one! I didn't see any blood on your face. Nice shot!

Congratulations and good eating!
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
rocket
Site Sponsor

Post by rocket »

Awesome 1st buck! I'm hoping to drop a buck with an old 30-30 I picked up 2 years ago. I've fell in love with that old rifle. :thumbup:
Stay Thirsty My Friends
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Congrats :smt004