Mono Vs. Flouro Carbon

This area is for general discussions about fishing, rigging, baits, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

dombern34
Site Sponsor

Re: Mono Vs. Flouro Carbon

Post by dombern34 »

foxtrotuniform wrote:
dombern34 wrote:the backing will limit the braid from slipping on the spool keeping the braid from digging down into the spool. another good thing about backing is you can stretch a average 150/200 yard spool over a couple of reels. i would use some cheap mono like Cajun line to back my reels.
This is good advice. It might take 500 yards of braid to fill a big spinning reel, and it's kind of a waste since most of that will never touch the water. And I've actually had to retrofit mono backing to a couple braid-spooled reels that started to slip after a year or so.

another thing to save some pennies, when that braid gets old and faded out, reel that old braid onto another reel without any braid and all that braid next the backing will be brand new.
foxtrotuniform

Post by foxtrotuniform »

fireant21 wrote:I always tie mono straight to lure with a loop knot on topwater. I don't like how the flouro tends to sink and make walking the dog more sluggish with a leader. I have to retie a couple times during say a early summer morning, but that is the nature of a loop knot anyhow.
Gotcha. I assumed you were fishing braided mainline. Sometimes I forget straight mono is still an option...
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

A really old guy named John reminded me of this a few years back. :lol: sometimes tried and true is still the best.
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

How would mono leader with braided line work for topwater?
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

I usually use 15 pound braid on the whole spool and it fills it up nice using the tape off the box to keep the line from slipping and tie 15 or 20 pound vanish mono line for my leader to my lures.
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Post by captkeyser »

Redbelly wrote:How would mono leader with braided line work for topwater?
Works great! I use 10lb Power Pro with cheap mono backing tied with a blood knot to 12-15lb mono. I don't use fluro because of the lack of stretch in the line. When throwing topwater with braid I have found that a 5ft section of regular mono acts as a shock leader for hard head shakes. Plus it allows a little abrasion resistance when fishing around structure. I have always found the lighter the better on both counts, line and leader. For what it's worth, I like the red Power Pro, especially because it turns pink after a while. :-D
Seachaser

Post by Seachaser »

Mister Mullet wrote:Prove it to yourself. Take a clear glass of water and dip a piece of each. See which one disappears. Use a quality brand of flourocarbon.
I did. Did not get a bite. They seem to not bite very well in my glass. :D
fireant21
Site Sponsor

Post by fireant21 »

Seachaser wrote:
Mister Mullet wrote:Prove it to yourself. Take a clear glass of water and dip a piece of each. See which one disappears. Use a quality brand of flourocarbon.
I did. Did not get a bite. They seem to not bite very well in my glass. :D

Too funny
Mister Mullet

Post by Mister Mullet »

:lol:
Hollywood
Site Sponsor

Post by Hollywood »

I just took a trip to St.Marks and the two guys fishing with me were using mono and I used braid with a fluorocarbon leader and we were all using the same jig heads and same gulps fishing the same spot out of the same boat and we caught 15 trout I caught 12 of them and they caught 3 so I'm sold on using fluorocarbon leaders on all my rigs.
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

[quote="mpa_72001"]I usually use 15 pound braid on the whole spool and it fills it up nice using the tape off the box to keep the line from slipping.

I also fill my reel completely with braid. After the first year or so, I pull all the line off, tie the used end to the reel and rewind onto the spool. Now I have new line! The next change out, I cut one third of the line off the end, pull all the line off the reel and tie the used one third to the reel and first used line that was tied to the reel. Now I'm fishing with the middle of the line .

This works for me!

I have hung fish that has taken 2/3 or more of my line off the reel. I feel better having all one kind of line on the reel.

I've not had a slippage problem or line that has dug in.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP